In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act No. 11 1993 as amended by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act 2003 and the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act, 2012, the Council has decided to begin the process of appointing a new Registrar.
Consequently, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post. Interested candidates are advised to note the following information about the University.
- The University of Ilorin was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 1975 by the University of Iloirn Act of 1979 to carry out teaching, learning, research and community service A first rate University which has carved a niche for itself in research and development, it has a mission to provide a world-class environment for learning, research and community service where staff and students will realize their full potentials.
- The University over the years has proved to be a centre of academic excellence. In the past four (4) years, the University has been consistently ranked the best University in Nigeria by different international Ranking Agencies including Web of World Universities (Webometric) which ranked the University the best in Nigeria for three consecutive years of 2009, 2010 and 2011, and one of the best 20 in Africa. It is also one of the two Universities ranked A+ in the 2011/2012 Institutional Accreditation of Nigerian Universities by the National Universities Commission (NUC) thereby earning a 7-year full institutional accreditation status. The University has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country with a well laid-out, lush green and landscaped environment conducive for teaching, learning and research. It has twelve (12) Faculties and one Institute of Education with a College of Health Sciences and a student population of over 30,00O
- With its academic achievements and peaceful ambiance of Ilorin town, the University has become the vast melting-pot of a typical Nigerian academic society attracting student and scholars from the local and international community Currently, it programmes with 47 foreign Universities. Above all, the University has an unrivaled and enviable record of academic stability.
The Council of the University of Ilorin hereby announces that the post of Registrar of the University will become vacant with effect from 28th April, 2013.
Job Title: Registrar
The Position and Duties
- The Registrar as a Principal Officer and Chief Administrative Officer of the University is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day-to-day general administrative work of the University except financial matters which fall within the purview of the Bursar.
- The Registrar is also the Secretary to Council, Senate, Convocation and Congregation and other statutory bodies as defined by law. He/she shall also perform all other duties assigned to him/her by the Vice- Chancellor.
The ideal candidate shall be:
- A person of unassailable integrity and strong moral character with ability to relate excellently with co-workers, students and the public; conversant with the intricacies and peculiarities of the University System;
- A person with a clear vision for the development of the University with a passion for implementing the vision;
- Endowed with strong character, sound leadership skills with the ability to instill confidence in his/her staff and command their loyalty and respect; and
- Of good physical and mental health, pleasant disposition with excellent communication skills, and be lCT compliant.
- Candidates must possess a good honours degree and at least fifteen (15) years post-qualification experience, with a minimum of 5 years at the Deputy Registrar level in a University.
- Some formal training in the management of higher education will be an advantage.
Conditions of Service
The appointment is for a single term of five (5) years only while salary and other conditions of service shall be as approved for Registrars of Federal Universities by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Governing Council of the University of Ilorin.
Application closes 20th January, 2013
Method of Application
Interested applicants are required to forward to the Vice-Chancellor 40 copies of their applications and curriculum vitae giving the following:
- Full Name
- Post Desired
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth and State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Current Postal Address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
- Marital Status
- Number of Children and Ages
- Institutions Attended (with dates)
- Academic Qualifications (with dates)
- Professional Qualifications (with dates)
- Working Experience: General and Specific Experience (with dates)
- Details of Administrative Experience and service to the Community with status and dates
- Present Employment, Status, Salary and Employer
- Extra-curricular Activities
- Any other relevant Information
- Names and Addresses of three (3) referees (two of whom must be a Professional or authorities in University administration who must be requested by the applicant to forward directly to the Vice-Chancellor, confidential Reports on the applicant.
Submission of Application
- Applications should be forwarded (in a sealed envelope marked “Application for the Post of Registrar”) to reach the Vice-Chancellor,-University of Ilorin, P.M.B. 1515, Ilorin, Kwara State
- The submission of the hard copy should be accompanied by full electronic submission of the application and accompanying materials to be mailed as attachment in PDF or MS word format to , firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read Application for the Post of Registrar’ Referees should be similarly advised to submit electronic copies of their referees report in PDF or MS word format to the same address.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.