President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir and rebel commander Riek Machar signed another ceasefire agreement on Monday, taking them closer to a final deal to end a 15-month conflict which has ravaged the world’s newest country, mediators told Reuters:
African diplomatic sources said the agreement, which has not been made public, sets out how the two leaders would share power once they formed an interim government. It is proposed Kiir would remain president while Machar would become vice president.
The warring sides also agreed to abide by a ceasefire deal signed in January 2014 but frequently violated. The rebels, however, said many more details need to be ironed out before the deal can be labeled a “power-sharing” agreement. After signing the latest agreement, Machar said the two sides would hold more discussions on the functions of the provisional government.
Few other details were revealed after frantic late-night talks. Regional diplomats had warned the warring sides that failure to come up with a new deal could see sanctions imposed on them.
The conflict in Africa’s newest nation and one of its poorest erupted in December 2013 and has rumbled on since then despite several commitments by Kiir and Machar to halt the violence.