Jobs in nigeria, graduate jobs, vacancies in nigeria, world bank jobs for nigerians
The Africa Transport Unit of the World Bank wishes to recruit a local Transport Specialist to be based in Abuja, Nigeria.
The selected candidate will be employed under local employment terms and will report to both the Country Director and the Sector Manager.
The candidate will participate in the Bank’s transport sector network and operations but might also need to work in other countries of the sub-region.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year renewable term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities
The selected candidate will participate in the preparation, appraisal, negotiation and supervision of transport sector projects (including roads, railways, port, and air transport), and maintain an active sector dialogue and contact with Government, the private sector, development partners, the media and other stakeholders.
S/he will be expected to contribute to analytical and advisory work and to participate in policy dialogue with the government related to transport sector policy and strategies.
The specific duties will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
* Participate in project preparation, appraisal, negotiations, implementation and evaluation, including operational missions in the field, with particular focus on:
* Program and project preparation. Helping identify development objectives, review and analyze proposals from Government to meet these objectives, gather supporting data and information to support the proposals and provide specific inputs into project appraisal document.
* Program and project implementation. Regular monitoring of costs and quality of work, identify and assist in resolution of issues to ensure results on the ground.
* S/he will participate in project supervision missions and take a key role in all or part of the implementation review activities.
* Multi-sector country team activities. Portfolio review, formulation of country assistance strategy, analytical and advisory services, review of poverty reduction strategies and cross-support to other sectors in the design, implementation, and supervision of civil works and related project components.
* S/he will provide cross-support to other sector units in the design, implementation, and supervision of civil works and related project components.
* Country and sub-region dialogue. Initiate and contribute in high-level discussions on policy reform and program, implementation.
* S/he will also provide the supporting role for Bank interventions and participate in transport sector donor coordination activities in the country;
* Fiduciary activities. Together with procurement and financial management specialists on the team, review procurement documents and financial management reports to ensure compliance with relevant guidelines and agreements.
* Knowledge sharing. Contribute specific professional knowledge both in the assigned countries and within the Bank on transport and development issues.
* S/he will participate in country team activities, including portfolio review, formulation of country assistance strategy, and analytical and advisory activities.
* Facilitation of private sector engagement. Encourage participation of the private sector in formulation of transport policy, strategies and implementation, for example, with respect to the domestic construction and transport industries.
Critical Success Factors
* Ability to identify, analyze and propose practical solutions to a broad range of technical, operational, financial and procurement issues during project implementation and evaluation.
* Sound understanding of World Bank or similar donor operational and procurement procedures.
* Professional credibility.
* Interpersonal skills to interact effectively with team members, government partners and other development partners. and
* Strong organizational and project management skills to perform day-to-day in-country management of a large and complex portfolio.
Key Competencies/Qualifications Required
* A Masters level degree in Highway Engineering, Transportation Planning, or Transport Economics.
* At least 5 years experience in transport operations including management of transport projects, experience in contract administration, planning and programming of capital and maintenance works and/or institutional reforms
Comprehension of typical sectoral issues in transport, including experience in advocacy of sector policy reforms and management and financing of transport infrastructure.
* Superior analytical skills as applied to common problems in the transport sector.
* Excellent organizational and professional skills.
* Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
Job # 091397
Deadline is 26th August 2009 click here to apply to the world bank