Background / General description
The World Bank is looking for Extended Term Consultants (ETCs) in Financial Management (ETC-FM) to be based in Abuja, Nigeria. The ETC-FM will report to the Regional Financial Management Manager (RFMM) who is part of the core team Africa Region Quality and Knowledge Services Team in Washington, DC. The ETC-FM will assist in all financial management (FM) aspects related to the World Bank’s operations under the direct supervision of Senior Financial Management Specialists (FMS) based in Abuja.
Job #: 102053
Job Title: E T Consultant
Job Family: Financial Management
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Language Requirements English [Essential]
Duties and Accountabilities
The specific duties and responsibilities of the ETC-FM will be agreed with the RFMM. The ETC-FM will work under the close supervision of a Senior FMS and will contribute to the following tasks:
• Assessing the adequacy of the Borrower’s project financial management systems and their ability to manage and monitor World Bank financed projects. This includes budgeting, policies and procedures, internal controls, accounting, financial reporting and auditing;
• Assisting the Borrower and the World Bank Task Team members on financial management requirements, including monitoring and reporting issues;
• Carrying out supervision work to ensure that projects financial management systems are functioning appropriately, including the periodic review of project financial management reports for financial performance;
• Assessing the selection and engagement of auditors, ensuring their suitability including their independence, and competence to perform; and ensuring that the borrower provides auditors with all the relevant information (including Terms of Reference and the Bank’s own requirements) necessary to carry out their engagement;
• Reviewing interim financial reports and audited project/entity financial statements, monitoring borrower compliance with financial covenants including audit compliance, ensuring adequate communication with borrowers in respect of audits and enters data on auditing and accountability issues in the Audit Reports Compliance System; and
• Other activities, as agreed with the RFMM.
The candidates should have a Bachelors degree in accounting, business, finance, economics, or related subject, a professional accountancy qualification (ACA or equivalent) and at least 5 years audit experience. Public sector experience would be an advantage. In addition, the candidate should have the following qualifications:
• Knowledge of the application of accounting, auditing and financial reporting systems and software packages;
• Ability to review, analyze and evaluate financial statements and audit reports in diverse sectors and circumstances;
• Knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards, International Public Sector Accounting Standards and International Standards on Auditing;
• Experience with internal control systems and procedures (including familiarity with COSO), with the ability to assess such systems and recommend remedial action where necessary
• Proven analytical and problem-solving skills and a proven ability to apply these in gathering, recording and summarizing financial and other operational data;
• Experience in auditing and knowledge of what to do with respect to qualified audit reports and matters arising from management letters;
• Capacity to function as a member of a diverse, multi-disciplinary team in a matrix and decentralized environment;
• Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments, adjust to and prioritize a variety of complex evolving tasks and under pressure to meet deadlines;
• Effective interpersonal skills to work with colleagues, clients and donor counterparts;
• Recognized as a results-oriented team player who is adaptable to changing business needs, takes initiative, can work independently and is capable of contributing to a diverse set of activities; and
• Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and orally, in English.
• Willingness to travel frequently
Method of Application:
For the full job description and selection criteria, qualified candidates are requested to submit the electronic application by visiting World Bank Site. CLICK HERE TO APPLY
The closing date for receipt of your application is end of day November 10, 2010.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified male and female candidates of diverse background (gender, religious, ethnic) are encouraged to apply.
Background / General description