NYSC redeploys corps members in Borno, debunks bomb attack claim

The National Secretariat of the National Youth Service Corps said on Wednesday it would redeploy corps members serving in Borno State to other parts of the country as a result of the current security challenges in the state.

The NYSC Director-General, Brig.-Gen. Maharazu Tsiga, made the announcement in Maiduguri while briefing newsmen on the latest development in the state, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

”I have always said that the NYSC will not hesitate to relocate corps members from states where there is no security for them. Borno is not an exception. We have decided to relocate all those in the camp and others already serving from the state.” He said the relocation would be limited to those willing to leave the state.

”Those who wish to stay behind will not be affected by the relocation, because we do not want a repeat of what happened in Bauchi last year, where massive relocation led to protest. “Married women, nursing mothers and those who are sick will also be left out if they wish,” he stated.

Tsiga added that no corps member would be relocated to his state of origin in the exercise, saying the practice was against the NYSC code. ”We are going to decide which part of the country to relocate the corps members, because no member will be allowed to serve in his state of origin,” he added.

Tsiga denounced a media report indicating that there was a bomb blast at the Borno NYSC Camp on Tuesday. ”The story indicating that three corp members died after an explosion in the camp is not only untrue, but unfortunate.

”Media men should strive hard to make peace and not try to create problems,” he stated. He also expressed shock over some text messages indicating that the NYSC camp in Jigawa State was on fire.

Source: Punch

This is a welcome development indeed. They should quickly evacuate the NYSC members in Bornu before those Boko Haram killers use them as sacrificial lambs to cleanse Nigeria’s sins.


1 COMMENT