Position: Rural Development Specialist
Job Family: Agriculture and Rural Development
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Appointment: Local Hire
Language Requirements: English [Essential]
Appointment Type: Extended Term Consultant (ETC)
Duration: One Year (Renewable)
Duties and Accountabilities
The consultant will have responsibility for assisting the World Bank Task Team Leaders (TTLs) on the following operations in AFTAR in Nigeria: Irrigation Project, Fadama III project and it’s information, knowledge and business advisory services; Commercial Agriculture Development Project (CADP) and the West Africa Agricultural Productivity project (WAAPII). The Consultant will work in collaboration with the TTLs in responding adequately to implementation challenges on the project in all states. The incumbent will also participate in dialogues; take part in conduct of supervision work including mission/field visits and write reports.
Major duties and responsibilities will include the following among others:
- Participate in the technical supervision of on-going AFTAR projects listed above
- Participate in policy dialogues with governments on agricultural and rural development issues, prepare policy memoranda and alert management (both country and sector) on issues requiring attention.
- Initiate/ participate in analytical and strategic work pertaining to agricultural growth and productivity in Nigeria, including work managed by AFTAR and that managed by other units, but requiring input from AFTAR staff, such as write-up of key papers in agriculture, natural resources and rural development;
- Assist TTLs in the identification, preparation and appraisal of new interventions/studies that will complement the Fadama III, CADP and WAAP implementation;
- Contribute to key operations important to the agriculture and rural development department of AFTAR, ensuring quality and timely delivery of these operations. In addition, the person shall carry out any other related administrative or technical tasks required by the TTLs, SL, SM and the CD;
- At least Masters in Agricultural Economics or related discipline;
- At least five (05) years of experience on agricultural development issues;
- Recognized substantive leadership in one or more of the strategic/technical areas noted above;
- Proven operational experience with recognized ability to deliver high quality results and to meet deadlines;
- Previous experience working with international institutions (such as the World Bank, UNDP, etc.) and government agencies preferred.
- Evidence of effective team work and client relations including with private sector;
- Ability to work flexibly on a range of assignments, and adjust to and prioritize a variety of complex evolving tasks;
- Ability to work successfully in a multicultural setting, with efficiency, competence and integrity across disciplinary boundaries and in a team-based work environment;
- Strong communications skills, in addition to excellent writing and communications ability in English Language;
- Proven ability to maintain professional relations with Government officials, development partners and implementing agencies.
Duration of the Contract
This consultancy will initially be for 12 months, with possibility of renewal for up to a maximum of one more year. The renewal of the contract of the consultancy will be based strictly on good performance, The World Bank reserves the right to shorten and/or terminate the contract and/or suspend payments if the consultant does not meet the job requirements.
Method of Application:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their applications online at www.worldbank.org/career before close of business on 19thAugust 2011. Once on the site look for job number 111454 and follow the steps to apply. Paper application will not be considered.