PTDF Scholarship Scheme 2012 / 2013 for MSc, PhD and Undergraduate Programs
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources established by Decree 25 of 1973 dedicated for the purpose of development, promotion and implementation of petroleum technology and manpower development through research and training of Nigerians as graduates, professionals, technicians and craftsmen in the fields of engineering, geology, geosciences, management, economics and relevant fields in the petroleum and solid minerals industry in Nigeria or abroad.
Our mission is to train Nigerians to qualify as graduates, professionals, technicians and craftsmen in the field of engineering, geology, science and management in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria or abroad. We have a vision to serve not only as a vessel for the development of indigenous manpower and technology transfer/acquisition in the petroleum industry but also to make Nigeria a human resource centre for the West African sub-region.
PTDF Undergratduate / Postgraduate Scholarship Programme 2012 / 2013
To ensure a steadfast implementation of this mandate, PTDF is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for the MSc and PhD as well as Undergraduate Scholarships, under the 2012/2013 PTDF Scholarship Scheme. Scholarships will be awarded for studies in areas listed below, in the United Kingdom, France and upgraded Universities in Nigeria for the 2012/2013 session. However, the Undergraduate level will be awarded for studies in Nigeria only.
Application Forms can be accessed online using an ATM card or through purchase of a scratch card from designated major branches of First Bank of Nigeria Plc in all the States and FCT, upon payment of a NON-REFUNDABLE sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira Only). Instructions on how to access the form online is clearly stated on the backside of the cards.
PTDF however wishes to inform applicants that the Overseas Scholarship Scheme was instituted as a short term measure to address identified skills gaps, pending the outcome of the various capacity building efforts being made to enable our domestic universities effectively handle the onerous task of grooming qualitative professionals in the oil and gas related disciplines. With the numerous upgrade programmes executed by the Fund in some Federal Universities in Nigeria, emphasis has shifted to training Nigerians in-country. Consequently, only a limited number of candidates will be sponsored overseas and the rest in Nigerian Universities listed below.
LIST OF NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES:
- African University of Science and Technology – Petroleum Engineering
- Institute of Petroleum Studies, Port Harcourt
- University of Port Harcourt- Gas Eng
- University of Ibadan- Petroleum Eng
- University of Nigeria Nsukka- Geology
- University of Benin- Chemical Engineering
- University of Jos- Mining & Geology
- University of Maiduguri – Geology
- Ahmadu Bello University – Chemical Eng
- Usman Dan Fodio University – Industrial Chemistry
- University of Uyo – Chemical & Petroleum Eng
- Bayero University Kano – Electrical Eng
This year, a new programme called “THE SPLIT PHD PROGRAMME” is being introduced for sponsorship in the 2012/13 Academic Year.
Applicants may please note that only those who meet the requirements below shall be shortlisted and invited for Electronic Aptitude Test, in the case of Undergraduate and Master’s, while oral interview will be conducted for PhD (full or split) on dates to be announced later. Following the aptitude tests and interview, the best qualified candidates will be selected and awarded PTDF Scholarships.
PLEASE NOTE: THAT UNDERGRADUATE APPLICANTS MUST BE IN THEIR 2ND YEAR IN ANY OF THE LISTED NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES, WHILE THE POSSESSION OF A VALID UNIVERSITY ADMISSION LETTER IS COMPULSORY FOR ALL PHD APPLICANTS.
A.) UNDER GRADUATE (Nigeria Only)
- Possession of 5 credits in WAEC/SSCE/NECO including English Language and Mathematics
- Must have concluded the 1st year of their study in any of the PTDF upgraded Federal Universities listed above.
- Must have scored a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on scale of 5 or 4.5 on a scale of 7 in their 1st Year.
- Must scan and attach a copy of their admission letter
- Students admitted into the University through Direct Entry i.e. 200 level must have either of the following:
- – Minimum of Upper Credit at the Diploma level
- – Minimum of 10 points in interim Joint Matriculation Board (I.J.M.B) examination.
- – Minimum of 8 points at the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education (G.C.E).
B.) MSc (Nigeria and Overseas)
- A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
- National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate
- Applicants must be computer literate
- Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language in WAEC/SSCE (C6) or NECO (C4);
- Applicants must not be above 30 years of age
- Applicants without credit in English language as in (4) above but possess any of the following may apply
- – Test of English language as a foreign language (TOEFL)
- – G.R.E ( Graduate Record Examination)
- – GMAT – for Management related courses
- – International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
C.) PhD Program
- Applicants must be in the academics teaching oil and gas related discipline;
- Applicants must possess minimum of 2.2 on first degree and a good second degree certificate;
- Applicants must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, introduction, objective, methodology and mode of data collection;
- Applicants must include valid admission letter;
- Applicants must not be over 40 years of age; and;
- Applicants must include their masters degree project
DOCUMENTS TO SCAN AND ATTACH TO THE APPLICATION FORM
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
- First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
- NYSC discharge certificate
- WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results or provide PIN numbers on the application forms to enable PTDF view the results on the relevant website; and
- Recent Passport Photograph
- Local Government Identification Letter
- Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only)
- Admission Letter (Undergraduate and PhD Applicants only)
LIST OF APPROVED COURSES FOR SPONSORSHIP
A.) MSc Program
Scholarships will be offered for admission into the under listed courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised, to apply for admission into Universities in the UK and France that offer these courses, while applying for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund Scholarship.
- Asset Management (Engineering Asset Management)
- Basin Evolution and Dynamics
- Diving and Underwater Technology
- Energy Systems Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Remote Sensing
- Fire & Explosion Engineering
- Health Safety and Environment
- Marine Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Maritime Operations
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Offshore and Ocean Technology
- Offshore Engineering
- Pipeline Engineering
- Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
- Refinery Design and Operations
- Subsea Engineering
- Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option)
- Welding Engineering
- Design of Rotating Machines
- Control Systems
- Hydraulic Engineering (France)
- Fluid Mechanics and Energetics (France)
B.) PhD PRIORITY RESEARCH AREAS
The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-listed MSc program areas may also include any of the following related areas:
- Environmental Studies and HSE (Health, Safety and Environment).
- Marginal Fields Development.
- Flow Assurance and Pipeline Engineering.
- Geology and Petroleum Geology.
- Civil and Marine Engineering.
- Renewable Energy.
- Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology.
- Refining Technology.
- Ship Building & Marine Technology.
PLEASE NOTE THAT:
- Recipients of a similar scholarship need not apply
- Applicants who already possess a master’s degree should not apply for msc programme, but are qualified to apply for the phd.
- Candidates applying for undergraduate sponsorship may seek more information (if required) from the ptdf lss coordinators in the nigerian universities listed above
- Closing date for applications is 31st October 2011.
I sugest corps menbers that would finish their service next year feburary should be considered. Because the scholarship screening and final shortlist will take time , and they might have finish by then rather than waiting till next year.
Iam of the view that:those waiting for nextyear corps service should be consider also because they are graduates already.thank u
Pls can some one that study Geography in the federal university of technology but specialize in Remote Sensing apply for environmental remote sensing? Thank you.
i dont where to fill the application online from ptdf.gov.ng sit. can anyone put me through?
I would like to suggest that corps members whose discharge cert. will be ready before the commencement of the academic session for which this scholarship is meant (2012/2013) should be considered. Precisely, 2011 batch A and B corps members should be allowed to apply for the 2012/2013 PTDF scholarship since the 2 batches would be finishing their National service by February and June 2012 respectively. Thank you.
I studied geology but not under gas and oil with 2.1 in state university. I‘m qualify to apply. I need your advice pls.
I am indeed happy for ptdf programes but i urge them to include graduates of natural sciences in their programes especially Apllied Microbiology graduates.
i’m of the suggestion dat alll of u should shut ut
When is the dead line for new applications?
Please i want to request that students of architecture be included for this scholarship programme, more also it is under environmental sciences. Thank you
Why is it dat Art courses are nt included ? Tnks
Why is it dat courses in d social sciences are nt always included in scholarships? They are d social engineers nd without them,other areas might nt function properly. Pls make it an all-round grooming. Thanks.
Are seeking admission or confused about admission/issues in Delta State University,Abraka.please call 08065746173.if you are helped please testify here but if otherwise do same.GOD bless you
Are medical and health sciences undergraduates eligible to apply?
I studied industrial maths during my undergraduate programme. Am I eligible to Apply?
If you are in need of the ptdf scholarship scratch card call 08138543144. Limited copies available. Scholarship application ends on the 5th of April.
I am highly interested in your program which highly beneficial and important thanks