The Nigerian Islamist sect Boko Haram has killed at least 935 people since it launched an uprising in 2009, including more than 250 in the first weeks of this year, according to the New York-based global rights group, Human Rights Watch.
“More than 935 people have been killed in some 164 suspected attacks” since Boko Haram launched its campaign of shooting and bomb attacks in July 2009,
“In the first three weeks of January 2012 alone, more than 253 people have been killed in 21 separate attacks,
“The Nigerian authorities need to call a halt to this campaign of terror and bring to justice those responsible for planning and carrying out these reprehensible crimes.” it said.
185 police and residents were killed in coordinated attacks targeting mainly police stations in Kano, the country’s second largest city on January 20, Boko Haram’s deadliest single operation.
The report said 550 people were killed in 115 separate attacks by Boko Haram last year, mostly in the far northeastern state of Borno, where the sect was founded in 2002.
“Boko Haram’s attacks show a complete and utter disregard for human life,” said Corinne Dufka, HRW’s West Africa researcher.