N’Assembly to rework anti-terrorism law

mark-and-tambuwalGovs, minister seek support for anti-terror fight

IN view of the terror being unleashed on Nigerians, the National Assembly has resolved to revisit the Anti-Terrorism Act passed last year.

In a statement issued last night by the Special Adviser to Senate President David, Kola Ologbondiyan, he said his boss disclosed this when he led the Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal and other principal officers of the National Assembly on on-the-spot-assessment of the damage done by the Boko Haram serial attacks in Kano last Friday.

He consoled the Emir of Kano, the Kano Emirates Council, the state government and the good people of the state over the incident and assured that those behind the dastard attacks would be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government’s bid to find an enduring solution to the crisis caused by Boko Haram has received the support of state governors and a minister.

Those, who spoke yesterday were Governors Muazu Babangida Aliyu (Niger State), Liyel Imoke (Cross River), Dr. Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo), Sullivan Chime (Enugu State) and Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Mr. Edem Duke.

Aliyu observed that no serious investor both local and foreign would bring their hard-earned resources to invest in an environment like Nigeria.

He also challenged the country’s security agencies and Nigerians in general to be more proactive as far as security issues were concerned, saying, “we should all be security conscious, things we take for granted should now be looked at more critically.”

The governor who was speaking in Minna yesterday when he received members of the Senior Course 36, Syndicate 6 of the Command and Staff College, Jaji who paid him a courtesy call at  the Government House said that business could only thrive in an atmosphere of peace,  stressing that the  situation in the country was not encouraging for investors.

The governor therefore suggested that the best way to arrest the security situation and the growing activities of Boko Haram was to engage all concerned in a constructive dialogue.

Governor  Chime commiserated with the families of the victims of   the bombings in Kano last weekend .

In a message by his Chief Press Secretary Chukwudi Achife, Chime said that he shared the anguish and despair of the families of the victims due to the attacks and the others that preceded them.

He particularly condoled with Channels Television over the death during the attacks of their Correspondent, Enenche Akogwu, saying that he had died in the course of service to the nation as a professional who was going about his normal duties.

He advised Nigerians to support the government in its efforts to tackle the tragic turn of events and bring the perpetrators to book, adding that they should remain vigilant and security-conscious at all times so as to help forestall such ugly incidents in the  future.

Governor Mimiko called for a decisive action by security agencies in the country in  order to stem the rising tide of violent attacks  on innocent citizens by the Boko Haram sect.

In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Eni Akinsola, the governor described the  latest attacks in Kano and Bauchi states as one too many and called on all well-meaning Nigerians especially leaders of thought from the various geo-political zones to fashion out strategies to checkmate the violence.

The governor also commiserated with the families of the deceased particularly the Channels reporter and other victims of the Kano bomb blasts.

Governor Imoke urged Nigerians to love one another despite the violence in the country. He made the appeal yesterday in Calabar while condoling with the families and relations of those who lost their lives and sustained injuries in recent bomb blasts.

In a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Omini Oden, Imoke also commiserated with the governments and people of Kano and Bayelsa states over the blasts.

The governor appealed to religious leaders and their followers in the country to ensure that bomb blast for whatever reasons did not degenerate  into  a religious crisis.

He warned against reprisal attacks, and charged the security agencies to step up their intelligence gathering to avert a repeat of what happened in Kano and Yenagoa.

Also, the Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Edem Duke, described Friday’s multiple bomb blasts in parts of Kano as alarming.

Duke said in Calabar yesterday  during an interaction with reporters that the explosions, which reportedly killed more than 150 people had left many Nigerians devastated.

He stressed the need for local people to work with security agents in order to identify undesirable elements in the society.

“We must all have to increase our security consciousness,’’ Duke said, while commiserating with the people and Kano State government.

He stressed the need for all Nigerians to work toward the unity of the country.

Tags from the story
frontpage

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

N’Assembly to rework anti-terrorism law

mark-and-tambuwalGovs, minister seek support for anti-terror fight

IN view of the terror being unleashed on Nigerians, the National Assembly has resolved to revisit the Anti-Terrorism Act passed last year.

In a statement issued last night by the Special Adviser to Senate President David, Kola Ologbondiyan, he said his boss disclosed this when he led the Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal and other principal officers of the National Assembly on on-the-spot-assessment of the damage done by the Boko Haram serial attacks in Kano last Friday.

He consoled the Emir of Kano, the Kano Emirates Council, the state government and the good people of the state over the incident and assured that those behind the dastard attacks would be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government’s bid to find an enduring solution to the crisis caused by Boko Haram has received the support of state governors and a minister.

Those, who spoke yesterday were Governors Muazu Babangida Aliyu (Niger State), Liyel Imoke (Cross River), Dr. Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo), Sullivan Chime (Enugu State) and Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Mr. Edem Duke.

Aliyu observed that no serious investor both local and foreign would bring their hard-earned resources to invest in an environment like Nigeria.

He also challenged the country’s security agencies and Nigerians in general to be more proactive as far as security issues were concerned, saying, “we should all be security conscious, things we take for granted should now be looked at more critically.”

The governor who was speaking in Minna yesterday when he received members of the Senior Course 36, Syndicate 6 of the Command and Staff College, Jaji who paid him a courtesy call at  the Government House said that business could only thrive in an atmosphere of peace,  stressing that the  situation in the country was not encouraging for investors.

The governor therefore suggested that the best way to arrest the security situation and the growing activities of Boko Haram was to engage all concerned in a constructive dialogue.

Governor  Chime commiserated with the families of the victims of   the bombings in Kano last weekend .

In a message by his Chief Press Secretary Chukwudi Achife, Chime said that he shared the anguish and despair of the families of the victims due to the attacks and the others that preceded them.

He particularly condoled with Channels Television over the death during the attacks of their Correspondent, Enenche Akogwu, saying that he had died in the course of service to the nation as a professional who was going about his normal duties.

He advised Nigerians to support the government in its efforts to tackle the tragic turn of events and bring the perpetrators to book, adding that they should remain vigilant and security-conscious at all times so as to help forestall such ugly incidents in the  future.

Governor Mimiko called for a decisive action by security agencies in the country in  order to stem the rising tide of violent attacks  on innocent citizens by the Boko Haram sect.

In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Eni Akinsola, the governor described the  latest attacks in Kano and Bauchi states as one too many and called on all well-meaning Nigerians especially leaders of thought from the various geo-political zones to fashion out strategies to checkmate the violence.

The governor also commiserated with the families of the deceased particularly the Channels reporter and other victims of the Kano bomb blasts.

Governor Imoke urged Nigerians to love one another despite the violence in the country. He made the appeal yesterday in Calabar while condoling with the families and relations of those who lost their lives and sustained injuries in recent bomb blasts.

In a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Omini Oden, Imoke also commiserated with the governments and people of Kano and Bayelsa states over the blasts.

The governor appealed to religious leaders and their followers in the country to ensure that bomb blast for whatever reasons did not degenerate  into  a religious crisis.

He warned against reprisal attacks, and charged the security agencies to step up their intelligence gathering to avert a repeat of what happened in Kano and Yenagoa.

Also, the Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Edem Duke, described Friday’s multiple bomb blasts in parts of Kano as alarming.

Duke said in Calabar yesterday  during an interaction with reporters that the explosions, which reportedly killed more than 150 people had left many Nigerians devastated.

He stressed the need for local people to work with security agents in order to identify undesirable elements in the society.

“We must all have to increase our security consciousness,’’ Duke said, while commiserating with the people and Kano State government.

He stressed the need for all Nigerians to work toward the unity of the country.

Tags from the story
frontpage

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

N’Assembly to rework anti-terrorism law

mark-and-tambuwalGovs, minister seek support for anti-terror fight

IN view of the terror being unleashed on Nigerians, the National Assembly has resolved to revisit the Anti-Terrorism Act passed last year.

In a statement issued last night by the Special Adviser to Senate President David, Kola Ologbondiyan, he said his boss disclosed this when he led the Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal and other principal officers of the National Assembly on on-the-spot-assessment of the damage done by the Boko Haram serial attacks in Kano last Friday.

He consoled the Emir of Kano, the Kano Emirates Council, the state government and the good people of the state over the incident and assured that those behind the dastard attacks would be brought to book.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government’s bid to find an enduring solution to the crisis caused by Boko Haram has received the support of state governors and a minister.

Those, who spoke yesterday were Governors Muazu Babangida Aliyu (Niger State), Liyel Imoke (Cross River), Dr. Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo), Sullivan Chime (Enugu State) and Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Mr. Edem Duke.

Aliyu observed that no serious investor both local and foreign would bring their hard-earned resources to invest in an environment like Nigeria.

He also challenged the country’s security agencies and Nigerians in general to be more proactive as far as security issues were concerned, saying, “we should all be security conscious, things we take for granted should now be looked at more critically.”

The governor who was speaking in Minna yesterday when he received members of the Senior Course 36, Syndicate 6 of the Command and Staff College, Jaji who paid him a courtesy call at  the Government House said that business could only thrive in an atmosphere of peace,  stressing that the  situation in the country was not encouraging for investors.

The governor therefore suggested that the best way to arrest the security situation and the growing activities of Boko Haram was to engage all concerned in a constructive dialogue.

Governor  Chime commiserated with the families of the victims of   the bombings in Kano last weekend .

In a message by his Chief Press Secretary Chukwudi Achife, Chime said that he shared the anguish and despair of the families of the victims due to the attacks and the others that preceded them.

He particularly condoled with Channels Television over the death during the attacks of their Correspondent, Enenche Akogwu, saying that he had died in the course of service to the nation as a professional who was going about his normal duties.

He advised Nigerians to support the government in its efforts to tackle the tragic turn of events and bring the perpetrators to book, adding that they should remain vigilant and security-conscious at all times so as to help forestall such ugly incidents in the  future.

Governor Mimiko called for a decisive action by security agencies in the country in  order to stem the rising tide of violent attacks  on innocent citizens by the Boko Haram sect.

In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Eni Akinsola, the governor described the  latest attacks in Kano and Bauchi states as one too many and called on all well-meaning Nigerians especially leaders of thought from the various geo-political zones to fashion out strategies to checkmate the violence.

The governor also commiserated with the families of the deceased particularly the Channels reporter and other victims of the Kano bomb blasts.

Governor Imoke urged Nigerians to love one another despite the violence in the country. He made the appeal yesterday in Calabar while condoling with the families and relations of those who lost their lives and sustained injuries in recent bomb blasts.

In a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Omini Oden, Imoke also commiserated with the governments and people of Kano and Bayelsa states over the blasts.

The governor appealed to religious leaders and their followers in the country to ensure that bomb blast for whatever reasons did not degenerate  into  a religious crisis.

He warned against reprisal attacks, and charged the security agencies to step up their intelligence gathering to avert a repeat of what happened in Kano and Yenagoa.

Also, the Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Edem Duke, described Friday’s multiple bomb blasts in parts of Kano as alarming.

Duke said in Calabar yesterday  during an interaction with reporters that the explosions, which reportedly killed more than 150 people had left many Nigerians devastated.

He stressed the need for local people to work with security agents in order to identify undesirable elements in the society.

“We must all have to increase our security consciousness,’’ Duke said, while commiserating with the people and Kano State government.

He stressed the need for all Nigerians to work toward the unity of the country.

Tags from the story
frontpage

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *