Job Title: HSSE Manager (Lilypond Container Depot Nigeria Limited) – APM Terminals, Lagos, Nigeria
Purpose: As HSSE Manager, assists in the day-to-day running of the Department. Assists in the implementation of the Safety Manual System (SMS). Responds to any emergency that may occur, and acts on behalf of the Head of HSSE when needed.
– Provides supervision and direction for the HSSE staff
– Manages various shift programs for subordinates. Monitors use of sick leave and annual leave.
– Follows company management policies and procedures in the application of managing subordinates.
– Leads Emergency Response Team at the time of an incident; if not present, may direct activities from mobile phone until arrival at the scene.
– Provides advice to department heads on issues relating to safety, security, hazardous materials and pollution control.
– Coordinates security matters and advises Security Supervisor as required.
– Interacts with the appropriate port authorities, Coast Guard, police, and civil defence authorities.
Ø Evaluates potential risks to personnel or the port and advises Head of HSSE.
Ø Responsible for authorizing gate passes to the port areas.
Ø Assists the Head of HSSE in investigating accidents or other safety/security related incidents.
– Conducts HSSE inspection of departments and operates a formal system to follow up on inspections.
– Ensures that HSSE equipment is in good working order, tested and maintained regularly, and that repairs are made timely and appropriately.
– Assists with safety awareness messages delivered to various departments through team meetings.
– Assists with safety department meetings.
– The position is one which is expected to supervise deliverables for subordinate positions
– Normally the position is expected to follow existing procedures while being called up to suggest recommendations for improvement
– The position is often required to influence & impact areas which are complex
– Requires college degree in Safety, Health & Environment or related discipline. Experience may be substituted for the formal educational requirement. Additional specific training in fire fighting, police science, first aid and CPR required.
– Requires five years experience as a fire fighter and progressively more responsible duties in the health, safety, security, and environmental areas. Previous port experience helpful. Requires at least two years of supervisory or project lead experience.
– Must have an in-depth knowledge of fire prevention methods and fire fighting procedures.
– Must have an in-depth knowledge of hazardous materials handling and oil spill pollution equipment.
– Must have an in-depth knowledge of safety and health, including inspections and investigations, safety laws and regulations, international regulations and procedures, as they relate to safety and health issues in the workplace.
– Requires excellent organizational skills, including planning, directing, and monitoring activities.
– Requires ability to communicate, both verbally and written, in English and the local language.
– Requires good problem-solving skills, with an ability to define the problem, examine solutions, and select the best solution, and this must be done at times under stress and an immediate response time.
– Requires ability to write comprehensive reports for both investigations and inspections.
– Requires ability to remain calm, but able to direct others, in times of emergency.
– Requires certification in first aid and CPR.