AFTER a brief respite, the crisis rocking the Akure chieftaincy stool over an Appeal Court judgment that nullified the thrones of two lesser monarchs in the metropolis has erupted again as the concerned rulers filed a notice of appeal over the pronouncement on Monday.
The rulers whose thrones were declared illegal, Oba Olu Ojo, the Iralepo of Isikan and Oba Kayode Oluwatuyi, the Osolo Isolo, in the notice filed at the Akure Division of the Appeal Court, specifically stated that the Deji of Akure, Oba Adebiyi Adesida “cannot benefit” from the judgment that ousted them.
It would be recalled that based on the judgment, the Deji wrote the ousted monarchs demanding that they surrender the traditional authorities over their quarters to the Akure Palace.
Specifically, the monarchs in the appeal filed by their counsel, Wole Olanipekun (SAN), said since the Oba Adesida was not on the throne when the appeal was filed, he could not benefit from the judgment of the court.
The Court of Appeal sitting in Akure had unanimously set aside the judgment that recognised Iralepo and Osolo as monarchs in the two Akure quarters. It also set aside the instrument of appointment and the staff of office given to the monarchs by the state government over 12 years ago.
But the monarchs said in their notice of appeal to the Supreme Court that it was the deposed Deji of Akure, Oluwadare Adesina, that was on the throne when the appeal was entered against them. They also said the then Prime Minister of Akure and the Lisa, Chief Folorunso David, had also been deposed.
“As at the time the appeal was prosecuted and judgment delivered by the lower court, Ondo State government had deposed the first respondent from office and the deposition was/is gazetted in the Ondo State of Nigeria official gazette-15 Volume 35 of June 11, 2010.
“As at the time the appeal before the lower court was prosecuted and judgment delivered, the second respondent (who appealed as High Chief F. David (The Lisa of Akure), had been deposed as the Lisa of Akure.”