Tragedy struck on Saturday when no fewer than sixteen person were reported to have been washed away at the Kuramo Beach in Lagos. However, so far, only one person has been confirmed dead, and the police have also confirmed the recovery of one body. This was said to have been caused by high waves accompanied by ocean surge, which, residents have confirmed, happens at least once every year.
According to report by Sunday Vanguard, the victims included 11 traders in a boat, 4 picnickers and a diver. The Lagos State government has ordered an “immediate evacuation of the state’s waterfront.” Kuramo Beach had been listed among the waterfront to be evacuated “to make way for movement of sand into the area.”
Meanwhile, the state government statement on the evacuation was silent on those allegedly swept away. The four picnickers at Kuramo Beach were said to have been swept off with their sheds.
Also, prominent hotels and houses in Victoria Island, were said to have been flooded. Confirming the story, Lagos State Police Spokesmen, Ngozi Braide, said 17 policemen were drafted to the scene.