Seven of the Family of Nine Who Died From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Buried at the Weekend

Seven of the family of nine who died after burying their mother at Emekuku, Owerri North Local Government Area of Imo State, was buried in one long grave over the weekend.

His Grace, Dr. Anthony J.V. Obinna, Catholic Archbishop of Owerri Ecclesiastical Province while speaking during a mass organized for the deceased ones described the burial of seven people from the same family as horrible.

The Catholic Archbishop said; “Though the gathering is a sad one, it is out of love for the deceased persons and for the relatives that we are here. We must remind ourselves of the reality of death.”

He said the false rumour that trailed the death of the Emekuku Nine showed unnecessary fear of death and lack of faith.

“Christians must be wise, as well as realize that some opportunistic persons in society cash in on moments of temptation and tension to get what they want.

“There are lots of 419 spiritual people, who use the opportunity of poor faith to do business, thus creating problems in families,” Obinna said.

Reports say the autopsy report released by the State Commissioner of Health, Dr. Joe Obi-Njoku, had confirmed that the nine persons died from suffocation after inhaling carbon monoxide from a generating set.

The state government has therefore issued clear directives on the use of electric generating sets, pointing out that families should build generator houses away from living rooms to avoid a repeat of the ugly incident.

Nigerians reacting to the issue have blamed it on government for the government’s inability to provide steady power supply.

“There have been too many deaths as a result of inhalation of Carbon monoxide and the government is advising us to build generator houses far from our house? Why can’t they ensure adequate power supply so that we don’t have to use generators?” Mr Badmus said.

The family of nine were discovered dead on Sunday July 8, 2012 in Umuakuru village in Emekuku, Owerri North Local Government Area of Imo State after they had buried their 98-year-old mother, Mrs Felicia Njoku on Saturday, July 7 in their country home. The deceased include Mr. Pascal Njoku, his wife Juliana and their five children, Ebere (first daughter), Ifunanya (second daughter), Chibueze (son) Jackline (third daughter) and Uchechi (last daughter).

Others, who also died along with the Njokus, were Mr. Njoku’s sister, Christina Uba (nee Njoku) and her friend Catherine who accompanied her to the burial.

7 Comments

  • The govt has the blood of this innocent family on there hands for not doing what they promised to do when the masses elected them. May there souls rest in peace.

    • People should be careful and not blame govt.Dont blame our carelessness and laziness on govt.Why should they sleep in a carbon monoxide filled room.However,this could be spiritual

  • Among d greatest sources of carbon monoxide toxicity are generator fumes,,car exhaust smoke,smoking sooty lamps etc.They are most dangerous inside houses and garages..The nigerian health ministry needs a health informatio unit to enlighten people on so many issues like carbon monoxide toxicity ,lead toxicity from old water pipes ,,car exhausts and brewery and distillery equipment etc and which causes mental retardation,,,problems of drug- drug interractions and many other issues to educate people about and achieve big results using just a small budget

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *