Whether you’re trying to lose weight, maintain weight loss or adopt a healthier lifestyle, watching your beverages is a must. Because it doesn’t involve sitting down at a table or chewing, most of us don’t pay much attention to the liquids we pour into our bodies, but we should!
Here is a list of eight of the worst offenders:
- Juice drinks – Most are loaded with sugar; choose only those labeled 100% juice.
- Soda – The overconsumption of sodas has been linked to obesity. Occasional diet sodas are OK, but there are better choices for filling up your daily beverage intake.
- Frozen mixed drinks – The mixers are the culprit here, usually filled with artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners.
- “Healthy” fruit smoothies – Premade fast-food smoothies don’t always have real fruit and are loaded with sugar. For a healthier option, make your own so you can control the ingredients.
- Hard liquor – After 2 drinks, your risk of obesity and other health problems increases. If you’re going to indulge, keep it limited.
- Lemonade – Skip the ready-made lemonades and make your own minus the preservatives and artificial coloring. Opt for either less sugar or try honey to sweeten.
- Sports drinks – The electrolytes are good when you’re sweating, but most drinks also have a lot of sugar and preservatives you don’t need.
- Energy drinks –You may get an energy burst, but it will be a short-term fix because it’s from an overload of caffeine and sugar.
The best bet for quality beverages still includes natural water and herbal teas based on their nutritional values and calories.