Despite the controversy that trailed its baptism from University of Lagos (UNILAG) to Moshood Abiola University Lagos (MAULAG) by President Goodluck Jonathan in his 2012 Independence day broadcast, UNILAG has been named the 9th best University in Africa and automatically, the best in Nigeria.
This is according to a new ranking released by Africa.com. In the same rankings, Cairo University, Egypt, still maintains the Continent’s top spot.
A further breakdown of the ranking reveals that Egypt has three of its universities in the top 3 positions, Uganda, Kenya, Botswana, Tanzania and Nigeria have one each while Ghana has two of its universities ranked in the top 10.
The list however is subject to a lot of debate as no South African University made it to the list; a development that questions the criteria used in arriving at the rankings.
2. American University in Cairo – Egypt
3. Mansoura University – Egypt
4. Makerere University – Uganda
5. University of Nairobi – Kenya
6. University of Dar es Salaam – Tanzania
7. University of Botswana – Botswana
8. University of Ghana – Ghana
9. University of Lagos – Nigeria
10. Ashesi University – Ghana