Laurus Development partners (Laurus) is a real estate development company combining local expertise with world-class standards. We develop environmentally sustainable, quality projects that deliver enduring value to our community, investors and end users. Our projects are designed to be future proof. We don’t just build a project for today; we build it to be relevant in ten, twenty fifty years time.
By applying the highest international standards in real estate investment, development and management, Laurus is shaping the modern property market in West Africa. Our vertically integrated approach, combined with deep local knowledge, enables us to successfully execute property development projects in challenging West African market. The Laurus’ team has collectively worked on more than two million square meters of real estate developments.
Laurus is an investee company of Actis, the leading private equity investor in emerging markets. Actis has been investing in emerging markets real estate since 1949. Actis gives us the financial backing to deliver complex, long-term projects that others struggle to deliver in this market. We develop world-class projects using the highest standards in architecture, design, engineering, health & safety and sustainability, adapted to local conditions. Because of our experience, our expertise and tried and tested approach, we are able to manage long-term risk and deliver strong returns.
Job Title: Shopping Center Development Manager (Real Estate)
Functions: Project Management
Industries: Real Estate
Responsible for the creation, design and implementation process of a new 25,000 sqm, Class A retail project in Abuja (Nigeria), this will include:
- Project feasibility studies, presentations and recommendations on development concept, preliminary program and budget
- Owner of the project budget and schedule
- Development/project brief, which include setting time, cost and quality objectives for the project;
- Selection and appointment of project consultants and contractors, and coordinate and monitor their work done to make sure design process is on time and on budget
- Manage and own the design process through concept and schematic design, design development and construction drawings
- Identification of potential construction related issues or contractual disputes and effect appropriate solutions in conjunction with the Construction Director
- Monitors project budgets and schedules for significant variances
- Oversee, review and sign-off all contractor and suppliers’ payments
- Coordinate requirements with anchor tenants and their consultants
- Manage leasing agent(s) activities and ensure leasing and pre-leasing targets are met
- Management of the project to meet the time, cost and quality objectives
- Provides administrative and financial analysis support to ensure project completion
- Manager clients/investors relations, communication and reporting.
- Assists in the leasing contract of the retail center to include working closely with legal counsel and Client in review of lease documents.
- Make certain that all project’s agreements are properly documented
- Monitors the flow of information regarding project design among interested parties including investors, market research personnel, construction groups, consultants and architects.
- Coordinate and monitor the activities of the General Contractor and consultants during construction to make sure construction is executed to meet project quality, time and cost objectives in conjunction with the Construction Director
- Acts as a team member with all employees
- Complies with all policies and procedures
Desired Skills & Experience
Over ten years of work experience with a professional real estate development organization and a record of RETAIL project(s) successes (better if shopping centers). Direct experience in Africa and/or Nigeria will be a strong added plus.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Proven direct experince in shopping centers property development
- Fluent in English (both written and verbal).
- Ability to work with financial model in Excel.
- Fluent in MS Power Point and Word. Fluency in MS Project will be a plus.
- Ability to work independently and needs a minimum oversight.
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks within a tight time schedule.
- Possesses the highest degree of integrity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think creatively and contribute to projects success.
- Ability to adapt to a highly challenging and unstructured business environment.
- Ability to analyze real estate from a strategic point of view.
Four years degree in engineering, architecture mathematics or business preferred. MBA from an internationally recognized program will be an added plus.
Lagos, Nigeria (extensive travel to Abuja in Nigeria and Accra in Ghana will be required).