Bloody Night: Borno Experiences All Night Shooting, Bombing

Maiduguri, again, witnessed heavy bombardment of gunshots and bomb explosions Thursday night, as the Joint Task Force troops engaged Boko Haram men in fierce battle which lasted all night.


Many people were reported killed in the gun duel. Police sources said some gunmen believed to be Boko Haram had stormed the Ibrahim Taiwo Area Command headquarters along Baga Road on Thursday night, in a bid to attack the building, almost an hour after the 9pm curfew time.

Men of the JTF were said to have been immediately deployed to the area, leading to a bloody battle with the sect. “Some of the attackers died during the exchange of fire and a few may have also fled,” a security source hinted. Most residents said they were kept awake by the booming guns and deafening sound believed to be from bomb explosion. “It was a terrifying experience because nobody could sleep in my house till day break.

We thought the situation was improving, but the Thursday incident was a bad experience that all is far from being well with this place,” one of the residents from the South East, who lives around Baga road, told Saturday Sun. He said about 22 bomb blasts occurred in the night and early morning yesterday. “I counted about 22 times when the explosion went off,” the resident claimed. Most residents said they were gripped with fear, as the sound from the bomb blasts permeated the otherwise silent night.

Also, North East information officer of the National Emergency Management. (NEMA), Abdulkadri Ibrahim, said several bomb blasts were heard around Baga road in the metropolis. Police Public Relations Officer of the Borno Command, Gideon Jubril, a deputy Superintendent of Police, said the gunmen attempted to attack the police area command but the attack was repelled. He disclosed that “many of the attackers died during an exchange of fire,” but said he could not give details of the casualty. Meanwhile, there was no official statement from the JTF as at the time of going to press. Its spokesman, Lt Col Sagir Musa, could not be reached on his mobile phone, as at press time.