Baby Loses Battle For Life Seven Months After Robbers Shot Him

Taiwo Lawal
Taiwo Lawal

The one-year-old baby who was shot during a series of robberies in Lagos on September 9, 2012, has died.

Baby Taiwo was shot at his parents’ home in Gbagada during the robberies which occurred simultaneously in various parts of the state last year.

Telecommunications giant, MTN Nigeria, donated N500,000 for the baby’s treatment at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, Idi Araba, following news of the incident. Concerned members of the public also donated undisclosed sums of money.

Unfortunately, Taiwo died on March 7, 2013 at Ward E of LUTH after seven months of hanging on.

The baby’s father, Wasiu said the amount of money spent on saving the baby’s life made the death more painful.

“We spent all that we had but unfortunately my son did not survive. After MTN donated N500,000 and few concerned members of the public gave us money, more expenses kept coming up. The money was not enough as we had to keep spending on drugs and other things,” Wasiu said.

“After the MTN donation, Taiwo was operated on and he showed signs of improvement at the Intensive Care Unit of the hospital. A couple of weeks later, after the bullet had been extracted, he was transferred to the main ward but in late December, his health started to deteriorate, he lost weight and we had to take turns to watch over him.”

Wasiu who alleged that after sometime, the nurses at the hospital stopped caring like they used to said he was even advised to take the baby home, as doctors at the hospital initially assured him that Taiwo’s brain was not affected by the bullet, but later said the bullet had affected the baby’s brain.

“Initially we were told that Taiwo would require another surgery but later we were told that he was too young to have another surgery and that he should have the surgery in a few years’ time. The hospital wanted to discharge him but I objected to it because he obviously was not alright.

“In late January, his health deteriorated and he could not breathe on his own and was placed on Oxygen. At that point, the doctor advised that we flew him abroad for treatment as it was now beyond their capability. However, last week he showed signs of improvement and was even eating.

“We were already happy but unfortunately on Thursday afternoon, Taiwo passed on, leaving behind his twin, Kehinde and two other siblings.”


  1. I sincerely Sympathize with the lawals for the lost of their baby taiwo.
    An also blame the lagos state governor for not taking it into serious consideration.
    The lost of baby taiwo lawal was as a result of insecurity to life and property lagos and nigeria as a whole.
    What a painfull lost,what a way to loose a child.