In a bid to improve the quality of education in Nigeria, the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufai, on Monday said in Kaduna, that the Federal Government would take serious action against the activities of Nigerians operating satellite campuses.
Speaking at the consultative meeting between the Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education and Rectors of Polytechnics and Provost of Colleges of Education in the country, Rufai noted that the government would soon clamp down on those operating the satellite campuses and outreach centres.
She accused heads of some government institutions of colluding with operators of the illegal schools, warning that henceforth, nobody would be allowed to compromise the future of Nigerians and mortgage the nation’s development.
“While we desire to open access, we shall not compromise the future of Nigerians and mortgage our national development. Quality will be jealously guarded,” Rufai said.
The minister explained that government’s spending of huge amount in the provision of equipment, laboratories and infrastructural facilities in 51 state and federal government-owned polytechnics were in line with its four-year plan for the education sector.
She pointed out that an additional N2bn had been approved for the second phase of the project. [Punch]