Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau yesterday advocated for the extension of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) service to two years to allow for military training.
“The youth corps members are supposed to receive military training for a year so that when they are through, they can be useful to the society, “Jang said during a courtesy visit by the Minister of Youths Development, Mr. Inuwa Abdullahi.
Jang said that one year service was not enough, therefore “we need to re-evaluate it and improve on it to include proper military training.”
He criticised the situation whereby after the service, youths had nothing, and this called for proper guardian counselling.
“Youths are supposed to be counselled right from secondary school before they enter the university so that they can read courses that will give them a future. More than 70 per cent of our university students are reading humanities while the remaining 30 per cent are science students. Nigeria needs to look at the possibility of creating special science and technical schools that could give the youth some hope; meaningful military training during their service will perfect it,” he said.
According to him, the nation is in need of deliberate policies that can stimulate the Nigerian economy by raising the youth in a useful and profitable manner.
He said that if the university graduates could be self employed to provide jobs for other youths, “then be sure the nation is on its way to economic development and growth.”
Earlier, Abdullahi thanked the governor for building an orientation camp for the NYSC. (NAN)