99% Of Nigerians Are Honest – Okonjo-Iweala

Must Read

FACTBOOK: Coronavirus In Nigeria — Everything You Need To Know

By Gbenga OdunsiAs Nigeria further shuts down in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, and more cases are being recorded...

Nigeria’s Response To Coronavirus Is Impressive – UN Chief

The United Nations has praised Nigeria for it's handling of the Coronavirus pandemic.Nigeria, Africa's most populated country with an...

Coronavirus: FG Set To Evacuate Nigerians Stranded Abroad

The ministry of foreign affairs has directed all its missions abroad to get the list of Nigerians abroad who...

‘Africa Is Not A Testing Ground’ – Drogba, Eto’o Slam French Doctors Over Racist Comments

Ivorian football legend, Didier Drogba and Cameroonian football legend, Samuel Eto'o have joined other Africans in calling out two...

Anthony Joshua’s World Title Defence Against Pulev Postponed

Nigerian British heavyweight Anthony Joshua’s defence of his IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO world titles against Bulgaria's Kubrat Pulev...


Nigeria’s Minister for Finance Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has said the country’s economy is improving.

Okonjo-Iweala who appeared on CNN International’s nightly interview program Amanpour while in New York for Women in the World summit, said 2013 is a year Nigeria is going to produce results. She said macro-economic stability has been restored and Nigeria’s growth as at 2012 was 6.5% with projection for the same rate in 2013, compared to average of 5% on the African continent.

Okonjo-Iweala who was asked about the level of corruption in Nigeria and her take on the pardon granted former Bayelsa State governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha by Nigeria’s president Goodluck Jonathan who was supposedly fighting corruption, the minister shied away from commenting on the pardon issue. She said however that “99% of Nigerians are honest, hardworking citizens who just want to get on with their lives and they want a government that delivers for them”.

She noted that if Nigeria will fight corruption successfully, electronic platforms have to be employed, and people should be distanced from money.

She also said oil theft is also one of the problems facing Nigeria. She blamed the international community for also patronizing oil thieves as she stated, they are in that way contributing to corruption in Nigeria.

“We are still a poor country. We can’t afford any leakage. We need international people who buy this stolen oil to treat it as stolen diamond, the blood diamonds…make it blood oil,” she said.

On the issue of power, Amanpour who wondered how a country so rich in oil still suffer a basic amenity like power, referred to an interview she had with President Jonathan when he was at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Okonjo-Iweala said the polls in the month of the interview proved the President right when he said Nigerians were happy power had improved, as the polls showed 54% of Nigerians though there was improvement in power.

Okonjo-Iweala’s comment on power has left Nigerians posting several angry comments on social media sites as they say power has not improved, nor did they think she was right about saying 99% of Nigerians are honest.

How is power in your area? Do you agree that 99% of Nigerians are honest?

- Advertisement -


  1. I agree with okonjo iweala that 99% of nigerians are honest and the remaining 1% are bulk of the politicians and their families

    The power (Electricity) supply in my area has improved tremendously but need to be step ed up abit. but let’s hope it stabilises and the digital meters distributed and not bills on approximation where a two room apartment with just radio pays about #3,000 to #3,500 while a three storey building with about 6 flats and a boys quarter pays the same amount. It not justifiable at all. All the same kudos PHCN

  2. @kent oji you actually spoke my mind. The 1% is made up of the politicians, their families, their girl/boy friends and relatives.

  3. Now, I really don’t want to comment on the 99% of Nigerians are honest.. Its just another comment by a political puppet for Nigeria. There no need to go into debate or emphasize on thatn reading it alone shows how false and stupid the statement is.

    As for light , I haven’t had light for 2months because a cable in our transformer was stolen and the nepa people want us to pay for it after we had paid 320,000naira for a replacement just in December 2012, aren’t phcn officals meant to replace this cable instead of us the residents paying for this cable. The want another 280,000 naira for another cable the area I live is occupied by poor people and we are helpless and can’t do anything abt this rather we have been in darkness for 2months and no sign of hope.

  4. Kudos to the Hon. Minister for the sagacious representation and presentation of Nigerians before the international communities.
    However, Nigerians should not be swollen headed for the commendation and the appraisal but work harder towards the attainment of such scrupulous qualification for real.

  5. Prof Ngozi Okonjo Iwaala, I see as a Good mother And Economics, Please Dont Join Other Nigerian Politician To Say Lie About NIGERIA. OKAY.

  6. I agree with the comment that 99% of Nigerians are honest while the remaining 1% are politicians & their families.
    But the issue of electricity is nothing to write home about. In my area for example, the PHCN officials told us we will be having light for 3 days consecutively while there will be no light on the fourth day & we agreed.
    And ever since then, we never enjoy the light for 3 hours on a day they were suppose to give us the light,at times we will not have light for a whole week.
    Is that what our Honourable Minister called enjoyment ?
    God go soon punish una !!

  7. Is quiet unfortunate that we can’t say the truth about ourselves so that we can be free. How can 99% of Nigerians’ be honest & things are getting worst instead of better. Ok, check out the ordinary electricity or water that is supposed to be made available to the average Nigerian’s, be honest is it available for them(average Nigerian’s)? It’s high time we watch what we say with our tongue so that Nigeria go better for us.

  8. how is 99% nigerians honest?wat d yardstick or d measure?if 99% are honest y do we have increase in bribery before securing employment,,having a job,criminality everywhere,embelzement even in place of worship and injustice and not obeying d law ?are all these people politicians alone?i differ from this submition of madam iweala,as for power is a mirage,u can only have power improvement in abj nd GRA

  9. The mother of the nation, even God in is happy wit d gud job ur doing 4ur fatherland. Go ahead heavn nd earth hs a rward 4u, carry go, u hv no equal. Rmain blssd in Jesus name, Amen.

  10. Dont mind dt woman,no improvement in d case of power,in my area ,past 2years nw i hv nt see light for 2days consecutively.am tired of buying #400 petrol everyday

  11. MADAM is right , the white man can never tell u that his country people is bad , inspite all the evils that has ravaged the western nations, she is a worhty ambassador, when u go to other countries in africa, like ghana, ivory coast , togo, cameroon etc , u will discorver that so many good things we hear about them are not true, let us stop selling ourselves cheap to countries that we are even better than

    Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Nigeria’s Minister for Finance) is very right, she said macro-economic stability has been restored and Nigeria’s growth as at 2012 was 6.5% with projection for the same rate in 2013, compared to average of 5% on the African continent. Now do some Nigerians understand this? Read from this links about macro-economic stability and Nigerian growth;




    nigerian economic growth and development



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -