Family Of 5 Dies After Inhaling Generator Fumes in Imo

download (1)On sunday morning, family members of five have died mysteriously at Dikenta Avutu Obowo Local Government Area of Imo State of poisoning from carbon monoxide.

Mr. Chibuike Uwandu and his pregant wife, Amarachi, his son, Chukwuebuka, and Regina, his mother were among those that died.

The incident occured, according to Benald, the younger brother to Chibuike, following Chibuike’s visit to their hometown in Avutu from Enugu with his family for the title of Ezinni that their mother was about to be crowned during Mothers’ Sunday in the Catholic Church in the town.

According to Benald, following the power filure in the town that Saturday night, his late brother had put on the generator. But Chibuike had to put off the set when it started raining and brought it into the house.

But everybody was shocked when the following morning when they saw some of their family members lying seriously ill on the floor while some were dead.

A team of State’s ministry of health were at the scene to investigate the incidenton Tuesday. Dr. John Ihebereme who led the team said that “The incident is mysterious and we are really devastated.” Ihebereme also warned the public against unnecessary speculation on the cause of the incident.

A younger sister and two other sons of Uwandu were receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia, the capital of neighbouring Abia, with Chibuike’s sister in critical condition.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *