Five Killed In Illinois By Suspect Who Is Now Dead

Manchester, Illinois shooting

Five people were killed early on Wednesday in Manchester, Illinois. A suspect also died after a shootout with police, Illinois State Police said.

Confirming the killings, State Police spokeswoman Monique Bond said, a 6-year-old girl had been injured and taken to the hospital. Initial reports were that the victims had been shot, but Bond could not confirm this.

State Police did not discuss any motive nor did they say if the victims were related. The Chicago Tribune reported, citing relatives, that the victims were a grandmother, a young couple, and two children.

A suspect fled in a white Chevy Lumina, police said, citing witnesses. At about 7:13 a.m., the car was spotted and chased by state and local police who exchanged gunfire with the suspect, state police said.

The suspect was arrested and taken to hospital fifteen minutes later, where he was pronounced dead, Bond said.

Police did not release the suspect’s name, but said there was no reason to believe that about 300 residents of Manchester were in danger.

“Scott County is a small community. Fortunately, this type of thing doesn’t happen very often, but this is proof they can happen,” Scott County State’s Attorney Michael Hill said at the news conference.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *