Mangoes taste fantastic in both sweet and savoury dishes. Try it with your favourite fish in this tangy salsa.
- 1 corncob, husks removed
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 mangoes, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lime juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, finely crushed
- 650g flathead fish fillets, skinned, pin-boned
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup (150g) cornflour
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 1/4 cup torn coriander leaves
- 12 tortillas, warmed, and lime wedges, to serve
- Step 1
Preheat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook corn, turning, for 10 minutes or until tender. Cool. Cut kernels from cob. Combine with onion, mangoes, avocado, 2 tbs lime juice, olive oil and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Step 2
Combine garlic, remaining lime juice, pepper and 1 tsp salt. Add fish. Turn to coat. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Step 3
Preheat oven to 160°C. Combine chilli, cornflour and oregano. Pour oil into a large, deep frying pan until it is 2cm-deep. Heat over medium heat until hot. Dust 1/3 fish in flour mixture. Shake off excess then shallow-fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels then keep warm in oven. Repeat twice with remaining fish.
- Step 4
Stir coriander into mango salsa. Serve with crisp fish, tortillas and lime wedges
Source: The Notebook recipes