P&G serves approximately 4.6 billion people around the world with its brands. The Company has one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Pampers®, Tide®, Ariel®, Always®, Whisper®, Pantene®, Mach3®, Bounty®, Dawn®, Fairy®, Gain®, Charmin®, Downy®, Lenor®, Iams®, Crest®, Oral-B®, Duracell®, Olay®, Head & Shoulders®, Wella®, Gillette®, Braun®, Fusion®, Ace®, Febreze®, Ambi Pur®, SK-II®, and Vicks®. The P&G community includes operations in approximately 75 countries worldwide. Please visit Us.experiencePG.com for the latest news and in-depth information about a career at P&G!
Job Title: Government Relations Manager
I. JOB TITLE: Government Relations Manager Nigeria and SSA
II. REPORTS TO: – GR Leader, located in Lagos
III. AVERAGE EXPERIENCE : (4 year post NYSC min)
IV. LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
V. LANGUAGE: Proficiency in English is required
VI. ASSIGNMENT DURATION – Full time employee
VII. JOB PURPOSE:
Favorably influence legislation and policies to protect and improve the business, profitability and image of P&G and its brands in sub-Saharan Africa through the design, guidance and implementation of PVP-based government relations strategies and external influencer networks. Those strategies span from gaining/facilitating P&G access to SSA markets, to advising the business on smart compliance with existing legislation, to improving P&G competitiveness, profitability and cost of doing business in SSA.
VIII JOB SCOPE: This individual will cover leadership of GR disciplines for SSA markets. Disciplines to be covered include:
IX. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Build and maintain a broad and diverse network of relevant Government bodies/officials, Industry/Trade Associations, professionals/consultants and policy thought-leaders and influencers at national/federal and regional bloc levels in key SSA countries, with special focus on Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya, as well as on priority SSA expansion markets (Ghana, Angola, Cameroon, DRC and Ethiopia),
– Work with SSA GGRPP Senior Manager, the regional and Global GGGPP organization, the P&G MDO’s in SSA, relevant Regional Business Units (RBU’s) and P&G Plants in the region to define and align GR priorities for SSA.
– Act as the Process Owner for GR strategy development and execution in SSA.
– Develop and maintain a solid working relationship with P&G GR ambassadors, Legal resources and distributor External Relations (ER) resources in SSA countries to define, validate and execute the necessary GR strategies, in conjunction with the SSA GGRPP Senior Manager.
– Provide P&G with local insights and sound GR counsel on national and regional Government legislation policy in SSA to accommodate current and future business initiatives, including regional trade integration initiatives where they exist.
– Contribute to GR capability building in SSA, particularly with distributor ER resources, in collaboration with the SSA GGRPP Senior Manager and the GGRPP regional team.
– Research and recommend novel approaches to expedite GR program execution in SSA and to improve chances of favorable outcome for P&G.
– Collect, compile, communicate and act as a repository of SSA information for Government policy impacting the business, particularly in the areas of economic, investment and monetary policy, international trade and tariff regulations, direct and indirect taxation, the fight against counterfeits and child/woman/family policy.
– Support the negotiation with Government ministries and the conclusion of P&G Point of Market Entry (POME) programs in SSA countries, troubleshoot issues with Government when they arise and conduct periodic reviews with the competent ministries to assess progress and preempt issues.
X. SPECIFIC SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
– Multi-disciplinary background, preferably including training/experience in public policy, economic and political sciences and communication.
– Solid understanding/work experience in project management and legislation/policy.
– Strong strategic thinking skills, strong leadership skills, maturity, inscrutable integrity
– Ability to operate under conditions of stress and to handle multiple priorities, good collaboration skill
– Strong verbal and written communication in English (French and/or Portuguese are a clear additional asset)
– Proven record of working on highly complex and sensitive issues
– Ability to operate autonomously and be a self-starter, highly organized and disciplined, solution-oriented, creative individual.