A common feature in these times is the live-in relationship. This is where an unmarried couple decides to live together under the same roof. Before discussing the propriety or otherwise of live-in relationships, let’s first of all have a look at the good and bad sides of it.
– There’s renewed intimacy
– It feels good to wake up in the morning and have someone at your side
– You can tackle emergencies together
– You can save cost as your living expenses will be divided
– Sometimes, it’s just amazing to have someone to come home to after a hard day.
– You lose your freedom and independence
– Constantly being around each other breeds conflict as familiarity breeds contempt
– You are exposed to each other’s bad habits
– You lose your personal space
– Eventually, your lives begin to revolve around each other
– It can keep the relationship from progressing to marriage.
– You start taking each other for granted and gradually lose the passion of your relationship
– It can lead to unwanted pregnancy
The disadvantages of live-in relationships far outweigh the advantages and most of the time, someone loses out, most often the woman.
A live-in relationship can be very confusing for a woman especially where no real commitment has been made by the man and it can cause the man to relax; after all, he’s already getting everything he needs so why marry?
It takes two very mature people to properly handle a live-in relationship. However,in my opinion, it’s just not worth it. If you want someone to come home to at night, then get married!
So what do you think? Are live-in relationships good or bad? Is there any circumstance in which you would consider being in one? Let us know in the comments box.