Shell companies have been finding and producing oil and gas around the world for over a century. Today, we have interests in exploration and production ventures in more than 80 countries and employ approximately 90,000 people.
This is a technically challenging work environment characterised by a continuing need for research, the pursuit of new technology, and the adoption of new ways of working. It demands people who will thrive in a culture that encourages and rewards innovation, collaboration and the ability to learn from success as well as failure.
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. It is capable of producing an average of over one million barrels of oil equivalent per day. The company’s operations are concentrated in the Niger Delta and adjoining shallow offshore areas where it operates in an oil mining lease area of around 30,000 square kilometres.
The Engineer will act as guardian of the defined design envelopes for mooring systems and participate in the design of current and future projects in the deep water offshore projects.
In particular,responsibilities for this position include:
• Carry out all necessary engineering analyses,including global analysis,structural Finite Element Analysis,to support engineering design of FPSO (Floating Systems & Storage) and SPM (Single-Point Mooring) systems.
• Prepare drawings and technical/project specifications and datasheets for the mooring systems in line with functional requirements as stated in the Basis of Design.
• Carry out installation analysis for mooring systems including re-assessment existing mooring system.
• Conduct intra and multi-discipline technical reviews including HAZOPs (Hazards & Operability),Constructability reviews,Reliability and Availability and Maintainability Studies and reviews,etc.
• Development and compilation of tender/bid packages for the mooring systems.
• Contribute to the development of global analysis/mooring engineering skills of young engineers to be able to carry out such work.
• Undertake front-end studies,as required,to identify and develop performance improvement changes
• Ensure that all proposed modifications allow safe operation of facilities and maintain technical integrity
• Participate in design reviews,audits and other mooring related reviews
• Contribute to SNEPCo mooring & related discipline in association with other Shell units so as to support lateral learning
• Demonstrate personal commitment to company HSSE objectives and motivate own team to be HSSE champions.
• Participate in the provision of mooring engineering support to new and on-going projects.
• Coach any assigned offshore discipline enginee
• The applicant should have a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Marine Engineering or Naval architcture at least 8 years of experience working in the area of offshore oil & gas development including 5 years of FPSO related engineering experience.
• Skill in the following areas is required: analysis and design of steel structures, structural dynamics and fatigue, finite element analysis, material selection, corrosion prevention, dynamic analysis of floating systems, hydrodynamics, loading in wind, waves and current, structural dynamics and fatigue, risk and reliability, project planning and economics.
• Proven, broad knowledge of deepwater floating systems design, fabrication, installation, commissioning and operation with depth in FPSO systems.
• Solid background in all aspects of oil/gas project execution including design, procurement, fabrication, installation, commissioning, and start-up.
• A strong commitment and demonstrable effectiveness in HSSE management is essential.
• Strong interest in hands-on technical evaluation, estimation of cost, design, construction and installation of offshore facilities.
• Coaching, mentoring, and motivating others to be successful.
• Global mindset and perspective. Ability to work and manage in a diverse, multi-cultural environment. Very good team player.
• Knowledge of interface needs/issues with Development Planning and subsurface groups.
• Knowledge of key external stakeholders’ needs and business drivers, including economic, political, environmental, and social issues.
• High personal energy level and a proven track record in achieving stretching personal and business goals
• Excellent Communication skills
• Working knowledge of the following software: are required: SACS, ANSYS. Knowledge of USFOS and COSMOS will be an advantage.
Application Deadline: Tuesday 30 April 2013
Number of Vacancies: 1