Decorator Tips on Picking the Right Throw Pillows for Your Room
Throw pillows can bring together a room’s color palette and design scheme, providing balance, elegance and visual interest to your home decor as seen in many apartments for rent in El Paso. They can soften the look of a heavy leather sofa or add a punch of color to a chair. Changing throw pillows is also an inexpensive and simple way to change the design scheme of a room.
Here are a few things to consider when shopping for throw pillows for your home:
1. Arrangement: Using asymmetrical groups is a common interior design rule for non-traditional decor; the room will feel more visually balanced. In design, odd numbers tend to be more artful. Try one, three, or five, depending on the size of your furniture and the look you want. Vary the pillows’ size and pattern.
2. Color: Choose pillow colors by looking at fabric, artwork and other accents in the room. Pillows do not need to be an exact match. Some slight variation adds natural contrast and interest to the room.
3. Address the whole room: Think of a living room’s pillows as a family. The pillow on a chair doesn’t have to match the group on the sofa, but if it relates in some way—palette, style—the space feels unified and polished.
4. Size and shape: Vary the shapes and sizes of throw pillows. Standard pillows measure 18 inches by 18 inches. Add a contrasting shape or size into a pillow grouping for additional interest. Large pillows can make a statement in a room; choose one or two with fringe, tassels and trim for additional character.
5. Fabric: Vary your throw pillows’ textures and textiles for a rich yet subtle mix. Use fabrics from plush velvets to smooth silks. Mix and match pillows: pair stripes and plaids together or combine solid and floral designs.