A three-storey building with at least 30 flats was engulfed in an inferno on Sunday morning at Bashiru Street, Ojodu, the same street where a building belonging to Foursquare Gospel Church collapsed just days ago. At least four persons were injured in the fire.
Men of the Lagos State Fire Service who rushed to the scene could not stop the fire from spreading beyond its source as eight flats were already burnt before their arrival, but their intervention was quick enough to stop the fire from spreading further.
The cause of the inferno could not be immediately ascertained but an occupant of the building, who craved anonymity, said it was caused by a dysfunctional generator that caught fire in one of the flats.
The Lagos State Government has therefore given the occupants a seven-day notice to quit the building in 12/13 Bashiru Street, Berger, in a directive issued by the state’s Building Control Agency.
Some of the occupants however insisted on remaining at the building as their apartments were not affected.
“It is nonsensical to give everybody quit notice. Not every apartment is affected. I think eight flats or so were affected. The building has close to 30 flats – including self-contained apartments,” an occupant, who craved anonymity said.
Confirming the incident, spokesman for National Emergency Management Authority, Ibrahim Farinloye, said the fire incident began on Sunday morning, adding that the quick intervention of emergency workers including firefighters, prevented the escalation of the incident.
“The building was engulfed by fire this morning. The building has about 30 flats. But eight flats at the top floor were affected.
“Also, some persons were injured and property destroyed.”