This is contained in a statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja and signed by Brigadier General Chris Olukolade, the Director, Defence Information.
The statement said the operation was in furtherance of President Goodluck Jonathan’s directive.
In his nationwide broadcast on Tuesday, while declaring a state of emergency in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, Jonathan directed the Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral Ola Ibrahim, to deploy more troops to Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
The statement said the operation would focus on tracking down criminal elements within the vicinity of the border communities prone to terrorist activities.
It said that the operations would involve massive deployment of men and resources.
“This is aimed at asserting the nation’s territorial integrity and enhancing the security of constituted governmental structures in all territories within the country’s borders,” it said.
The statement said participating troops had been appropriately briefed on arrests, cordon and search, especially directed at apprehending those violating the sovereignty of the nation through insurgency and related activities.
It added that the operation was expected to put an end to insurgent activities in those parts of the country.
The statement assured law abiding citizens that every effort had been put in place to ensure the safety of civilians and non-combatants during the operation.
“All citizens are enjoined to cooperate with troops and supply necessary information on criminals and terrorist activities or movement in their locality.
“The operation is intended to safeguard the nation’s interests and citizens in all parts of the Federation,” it said.