The raid was carried out on Friday by ground troops with tactical air support from the Nigerian Air Force. A security source added that the camps attacked is believed to be a safe haven for the insurgents and are used for most of their trainings and enrolment exercises.
“I cannot tell you the actual number of terrorists killed, but I am optimistic we are making headway, and at the end of the operation, we will be commended,” the source stated.
Confirming the killing of some of the suspected terrorists, spokesman of the Nigerian military, Brig Gen Chris Olukolade, said he could only confirm the death of 30 suspected terrorists but added the figure could be higher as the military hadn’t carried out a ‘mopping up’.
According to him, “We have not done the mopping up operations on the ground to determine the numbers killed.” Olukolade added that it was not just Sambisa alone that was under attack but every other camp. He pointed out too that the air strike had been on since Wednesday.
It was also gathered that one of the jets used by the Air Force in the raid in Sambisa was hit by the terrorists’ sect using anti-aircraft guns but the pilot successfully manoeuvred and landed it safely in the base.
Olukolade, who also confirmed the report said the “terrorist base” was subsequently “completely destroyed”.