A communal clash involving Ajah, Olumegbon and Ilaje boys along the Lekki-Epe-expressway, Lagos, weekend led to death of six persons, while scores were injured.
Although there were different accounts as to how the six persons whose identities were yet to be ascertained, yesterday, were killed, reports have it that the fight broke out, Saturday, on a football pitch following a lingering supremacy tussle between Olumegbon and Ajah boys.
Another version of the account had it that some Olumegbon boys were on their way to a peace-keeping meeting over the lingering supremacy battle at the Ajah motor park, only to be allegedly. ambushed by Ajah boys, who killed some of them in the process.
Eyewitnesses said Ilaje boys were not in the picture when trouble broke out but they reportedly got involved when fleeing Ajah boys attempted to escape through their terrain. They (Ilaje boys) reportedly refrained, apparently to avoid being entangled in the fight. But in the process, another round of fight reportedly started, leaving two persons dead.
Two corpses of the Olumegbon boys were reportedly taken to their traditional head’s palace where the youths mourned the loss, with each faction spoiling for reprisal attack.
Report said dangerous weapons such as broken bottles, axes, knives and locally made guns were used during the fight.
It, however, took the combined efforts of conventional and Mobile policemen drafted from the Area J Command, Ajah, to quell the fracas.
As at yesterday, residents of the area were still in fear of a possible reprisal, but Vanguard gathered that military personnel and policemen were keeping surveillance in the area.
Contacted, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, confirmed the incident, saying some persons had been arrested in connection with the crisis and that security had been also beefed up in the area. [Vanguard]