Turkey’s foreign minister has blamed the world’s inaction on the Syrian conflict for the “barbarian act of terrorism” that claimed dozens of lives near the border.
Ahmet Davutoglu’s comments in Berlin came a day after a twin bombing in the small town of Reyhanli in the southern Turkish province of Hatay that left at least 46 people dead and 100 others wounded near Turkey’s border with Syria.
The comments also followed a vigorous denial by Syria of any links to Saturday’s blasts, which were the deadliest attacks to hit Turkey in recent years.
Holding Turkey indirectly responsible for the attacks, which took place just a few kilometres from the main border crossing into Syria, Omran al-Zoubi said: “Syria did not commit and would never commit such an act because our values would not allow that.”
Davutoglu had earlier told Turkey’s TRT television that he did not believe the attacks were linked to Syrian refugees in his country, but that they had “everything to do with the Syrian regime”.
During his visit to the German capital on Sunday, Davutoglu also said: “The latest attack shows how a spark transforms into a fire when the international community remains silent and the UN Security Council fails to act.
“It’s unacceptable for the Syrian and Turkish people to pay the price for this.”
Davutoglu called the blasts a breach of Turkey’s “red line” and said that “it’s time for the international community to display a common stance against the regime … immediately and without delay”.
He called for an “urgent, result-oriented diplomatic initiative” to find a solution to the Syrian crisis and said that “Turkey has the right to take any kind of measure” in response to the killings.