Two young Egyptian siblings were hospitalised after a fire broke out in their home.
Neither one of the children’s parents was present in the family’s Al Ain home, Abu Dhabi, during the time of the fire. The fire had reportedly spread to two neighbouring apartments in the building.
Mustafa Osama Kamal, 3, and his sister Mariam, 5, were found unconscious by the Civil Defence who also proceeded to put out the flames after a neighbour called in the disaster. Police reports say that Mustafa is in a critical condition while his sister is suffering from medium-level injuries.
The pair is being looked after in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of a hospital in Al Ain.
The children’s father was at his workplace during the incident and the mother is said to have been in a nearby grocery store and had locked the door on the brother and sister, according to police reports.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the fire had started in one of the rooms in the house and had spread to the door and ceiling causing the air conditioning system to burst.
Major General Nasser Lakhrebani Al Nuaimi, Secretary General of the Office of Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, urged parents, guardians and caretakers to refrain from leaving their children alone in the household to avoid any such incidents from occurring, just as he wished the injured siblings a speedy recovery.