Residents of Ujabhole-Uwessan, in Esan Central Local Government Area of Edo State, were on Sunday, thrown into mourning, as an 18-year-old girl from the area was electrocuted by cables of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria.
The deceased, identified as Iyogosa Godsday, was reportedly hit by PHCN high tension wire while trying put on line, clothes she hadwashed, after a downpour the same day.
It was gathered that people ran helter-skelter when the high tension cable fell, while several household electrical appliances were destroyed.
According to an eyewitness, Adubuka Ehimen, the deceased came out after the rains and was trying to spread clothes on a line, few meters from the house, when suddenly she was hit by the huge tension wire and died.
He added that sympathisers avoided moving close, for fear of being electrocuted.
He said, “Iyogosa came out of the house after that heavy Sunday rain and was spreading her clothes on the rope in front of their house at Idumu Asse, when she was hit by the wire, immediately she fell to the ground and died.
“Though she has been buried, but as I speak with you, no PHCN official has come to the village, even after we reported the case at the Irrua station office of the establishment. Right now light has not been restored and we are in darkness.”
Assistant General Manager, Public Relations, Benin PHCN, Mr. Oyebode Fadipe pleaded for time to investigate the matter.
He said, “I don’t have any information on that, I will call to find to find out the situation.” [Punch]