The STF spokesman, Capt. Salisu Mustapha, in Jos on Friday said that invading gunmen killed 28 persons in Magama, Bongong and Karkashi communities, while the STF killed 20 of them “in a gun duel that lasted several hours”.
He said that many other assailants sustained gunshot wounds and were arrested by the STF.
“Some motorcycles, weapons and ammunition were also recovered,” he added.
Mustapha said that the attackers were suspected to be Fulani herdsmen and that they withdrew toward Yamini, Yelwa-Shendam and Agikamai villages in Shendam Local Government Area after the attack.
He, however, said the situation had been brought under control as more troops had been deployed to secure the area.
Mustapha said “STF personnel are conducting a robust patrol to guard against further attacks on innocent persons.”
He advised the people to go about their normal businesses and warned that security men would deal with anyone caught making trouble in the area.
“Individuals or groups of persons that have made themselves the enemies of the people will be treated as such because we shall fish them out and deal with them,” he warned.
Meanwhile, the Chairman of Langtang South Local Government, Mr Naanman Darko, said that more than 6,000 displaced persons were taking refuge at the local government headquarters in Mabudi.
“In fact, more people are still trooping into the secretariat following rumours that more attacks are underway,” he said.
Darko said nine injured persons were being treated at Langtang South General Hospital.
“The local government has been making arrangements to provide relief materials to the displaced persons.
“We have also reached out to the State Emergency Management Agency and had been assured that assistance is already underway,” he added. (NAN)