Facebook Love: Girl Commits Suicide After Fiancee Married Her Friend

fb love

Disillusioned and uncertain, a 30-year-old graduate of Micro-biology from the Delta State University (DELSU) Abraka, has allegedly committed suicide after hearing that her finacee, who she met on Facebook, had gotten married to her best friend.

Reports said the lady, identified as Nkechi (surname withheld), hailed from Onitsha, Anambra State and settled in Asaba with her parents after graduation while searching for employment. Nkechi then got involved in Facebook-ing at the centre where she was being tutored incomputer appreciation. This was how she met  the young man, who disguised himself  as a ‘cripple’, but was actually a lawyer who trained in the United Kingdom.

LEADERSHIP FRIDAY reliably gathered that after series of chats, the said cripple asked for her hand in marriage. After their long relationship on-line, which lasted about seven months, the young man, who was identified as Henry (surname withheld), returned to Nigeria on awheelchair. Nkechi, accompanied by her friend, went to the airport to welcome him, but was shocked to see him on a wheelchair and when he begged her to marry him, she refused.

According to reports, feeling disappointed, Nkechi continued to refuse his proposal, despite his pleas and a visit to her house. She did not listen to that of her friend, either. Her friend, identified as Onyinye, a fashion boutique owner, living somewhere around Infant Jesus area of Asaba, was shocked at her friend’s decision after pleading with her to reconsider her decision, but Nkechi refused. This, reports said, endeared Onyinye to Henry.

Issues took a different turn when Henry went ahead to finalise wedding plans with Onyinye. They had the traditional marriage and white wedding last weekend in Asaba, but at the reception, Henry got off his wheelchair to the amazement of all and informed everyone that he was never a ‘cripple,’ but had to disguise himself because he was hoping to get married to a Nigerian lady who would love him, even if he was a cripple.

When the news got to Nkechi, she was reported to have committed suicide.

Confirming the news, the Police Spokesman in the State, ASP Lucky Uyabeme, disclosed that the incident occurred on Thursday night when the girl returned home and complaining of having a minor headache, turned in. According to Uyabeme, while in her room, she may have taken some drugs and dropped a note by her bed side. Uyabeme said the note read: “I have gone to rest as I cannot stand the situation after the house I built has collapsed.”

“This is a lesson for single ladies; never reject any suitor, so that you don’t end up dead,” Uyabeme said. He also added that hercorpse has since been deposited at the mortuary of the Federal Medical Centre.

Leadership Friday checks revealed that the parents were fined by elders of the quarters, who considered it a sacrilege for a suicide to be committed in the area.