The Yobe Government has appealed to the Federal Government to float an intervention fund to cushion the effects of the Boko Haram insurgency on affected states. The appeal was made by the Special Adviser to the State Governor on Media and Information, Alhaji Abdullahi Bego, in Damaturu on Sunday.
While the Yobe Government fully supported the declaration of emergency in the state, it would also like the Federal Government to set up a fund to assist people affected by the insurgency, Bego said. The special adviser also appealed to the Federal Government to provide modern equipment to the security agencies, praising the troops for sticking to rules of engagement.
He noted that the State Government had been cooperating and providing logistics to the Joint Task Force (JTF), tackling the security problems, and had spent about four billion naira since the insurgency started. Bego said that the State Government had also disbursed about N197 million to victims of the insurgency as relief for their losses and also rehabilitated 300 classrooms destroyed by the insurgents.
Also today, the JTF Commander in Yobe, Col. Ibrahim Ali stated that activities of Boko Haram insurgents had been curtailed following the declaration of state of emergency in the state.