Lakeisha Brooks, 33, however, was in the checkout line of a supermarket when a flash of lightning hit her as she paid for her groceries. Then she heard a loud crash.
She tried to push her 2-year-old daughter away when the force struck again and blew her shoe off her foot.
“I had all of this black smut on the bottom,” she told the website, adding that the lightning blast felt like hot oil running down her thigh “like when you’re cooking.”
Brooks suffered burn marks on her left leg and right foot, WDSU-TV reported.
She was taken to Terrebonne General Medical Center where she was treated and released. Now her condition is improving.
Meanwhile, the supermarket now has a foot-wide blackened tile where Brooks was standing, but the store remained open after the strike, the station reported.
Investigators for the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff’s Office said the indoor lightning strike came through the building’s roof, traveled along the supermarket’s sprinkler system and then struck a metal plate on the floor where Brooks stood, iScienceTimes.com reported.