Barcelona FC remains resolute on their stance that Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas is not for sale, in the light of Manchester United’s insistence on having him.
United confirmed on Monday that an improved offer, understood to be around £30m plus add-ons was tabled for the 26-year-old midfielder, but reports in Spain claim that has been turned down.
“Fabregas is not for sale,” a Barcelona source said on Monday. “The president (Sandro Rosell) has been very clear with Man United.”
United had earlier had their £25m bid rejected by the Spanish champions, despite endorsements from the likes of Robin van Persie and David de Gea, former United defender Gerard Pique has told the Red Devils to give up the chase for his teammate- because he’s going nowhere.
“United are wasting their time,” he is quoted in The Sun. “It took a long time for Cesc to get his dream move back home and he won’t give it up.
“This is home, it is where his family is, and he is playing with his closest friends. He has told us he is happy and that he intends to stay with Barcelona.”
Barcelona have not made any official comment, with the appointment of Gerardo Martino as replacement for Tito Vilanova on the front burner of the club’s agenda, the club is expected to issue a statement soon.