Manchester United have returned with an improved offer for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
United made an opening bid of £25m last week Monday and have increased that to £30m plus add-ons as confirmed by manager David Moyes.
“My understanding is that Ed’s (Woodward) had a response and he spoke with them,” Moyes said on United’s bid for Fabregas at a news conference in Yokohama.
“I think we made a second offer but Ed is dealing with that personally, rather than me.”
Chief executive Ed Woodward left United’s pre-season tour ahead of schedule last Wednesday to return to Europe to attend to urgent transfer business, which majorly concerns the club’s summer recruitment.
David Moyes has stated that signing a midfielder is his priority ahead of the new season, although Barcelona has remained unwavering on their position that Fabregas is not for sale.
Moyes added: “When you’re interested in good players you want to give every opportunity to materialise and I’ll do that.
“I hope things can continue and move forward. At this moment in time I can only tell you that Ed Woodward is working hard trying to make the deals happen. We can only hope that some of them fall into place shortly.”
Barcelona vice president Josep Maria Bartomeu was quoted by Spanish daily Sport on Friday: “Barcelona can assure you we will not entertain any offer for Cesc. It is totally ruled out, he’s not for sale.”
Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye and Real Madrid’s Luka Modric are part of Moyes’s contingency plans should the move for Fabregas end in failure, reports the Manchester Evening News.
Moyes also feels the club’s failure in landing a statement signing since he took over shouldn’t be a problem at this point.
Moyes said: “I can’t understand why fans are getting anxious. There’s no update I can give you though.
“I think everybody might have thought this could be the summer where the transfers come later in the month. You have to remember I only started the job 1st July so, in truth, I’ve only been on the job for three weeks at this point in time.”
Fabregas came through the ranks of Barcelona youth set up before Arsenal signed him as a 16-year-old in 2003.
He became a force to be reckoned with in the midfield under Arsene Wenger and was part of Arsenal team which beat Manchester United on penalties in 2005 FA Cup final.
He played 303 games and scored 57 goals for the Gunners before returning to the Nou Camp when he signed a five-year deal with Barcelona in August 2011 for £25.4m.
The 26-year-old has helped Barcelona win the Copa del Rey in 2011/12 and La Liga last season.
He has capped 83 times for Spain, winning the 2010 World Cup and European Championship twice.