We try to go into every date hoping for the best, but let’s be frank: Sometimes a date is the worst. If you’ve ever been in one of those situations where you know instantly that he’s just not for you and you want to minimise the amount of time you have to spend sipping your soda while politely nodding as your eyes glaze over, we’ve got advice for the next time that happens.
In the dating sphere, it’s inevitable that bad dates are going to happen. Whatever the reason, there’s no spark and you need to get out. But how? Ending a date is tricky business, especially if it turns out your date is everything you never wanted, but there is hope. There are many ways that you can exit a bad date and it all depends on whether you want to leave with your dignity or you just want to get the hell out of there before you declare yourself celibate!
Here is a list of five ways to get the hell out of date Dodge.
1. “Meet them in a coffee shop.” This is more of a preventive measure than a method to use once you’re actually on the date, but it’s one that definitely helps avoid spending unnecessary time with someone you might not like in person. From the outset, invite them to meet you in a coffee shop or somewhere that suggests a short period of time in the company of your new acquaintance. Planning dates with a shorter activity saves you a lot of time trying to work your way out of a bad date in the first place. Meeting during your lunch break is handy because you have a definite departure time. If you’re not a good giver of excuses, put yourself in a position where you don’t have to invent an excuse to leave. If you end up liking him, you can always schedule another, longer date.
2. “Tell the truth.” Honesty might be the best policy, but it’s definitely not the easiest. This is a bold one. Telling the truth is difficult and can make you come across as rude and arrogant, but there’s nothing worse than ‘chickening’ out and destroying your dignity along the way! Treat your date with respect and have the courage to be kind and honest with them. Although it might be the most awkward moment of your life, gently telling someone the truth might save you both a lot of time and misery.
3. “Swallow your pride.” This is an extreme measure for those who can’t bear to be frank, but don’t mind telling a little white lie. Excuse yourself and tell him you’ve got ‘lady problems’. A guy will NEVER question you about your ‘lady problems’. Be that as it may, don’t use the power of femininity lightly. It should only be used in desperate situations when all hope gets lost in the glass of rosé you just downed.
4. “The improvised emergency. You might also call this move The Something Bad Happened. This excuse may take some pre-planning with your friends, family or even your boss. With the press of a button you can set yourself up with an endless chain of excuses to aid an abrupt exit. Using this excuse avoids confrontation, but it’s poor!”
5. “Make them run away first.” Not recommended for most of us, this last-ditch effort is for the crazy cats that love creating a bit of drama to get out of a date. This move is all about scaring him off. Start talking about your ex-boyfriends, all of your body issues, and how desperate you are to get married or have children. If this one doesn’t get him running toward the nearest exit before you can finish telling him how much you love your 30 cats, then your only other option is to run!”
There you have it. Pick your poison, get out of there, and remember that you might have to suffer through a few bad dates to find the good ones