Security Operatives Quiz Stowaway Teen’s Mother

Evelyn Oikhena and son, Daniel
Evelyn Oikhena and son, Daniel

Mother of the 15-year-old Daniel Oikhena, who emerged from the wheel compartment of an Arik Air flight from Benin Airport to Lagos, last Saturday was yesterday interrogated by Officials of the Department of State Services, DSS, in Edo State.

Mrs Ohikhena, a hairdresser who resides in Benin, in an apparent effort to unite with her son had earlier yesterday told reporters that her son had been secretly nursing an ambition to travel to the United States without her consent.

Mrs Evelyn Oikhena said she was shocked when her sister-in-law in Germany called her to say that she read the incident on the internet.

It was gathered that as soon as Mrs. Ohikhena went to the airport on the advice of the men of the Evbotubu Police Station, Benin City, where she went to report that her son was missing, the Airport Manager, Mr. Sunday Ayodele, ordered her arrest and detention.

She said she was shocked that her son could embark on such a life-threatening journey to where he had never been before.

Speaking in Benin City, yesterday, Mrs Oikhena said her son was at home with his elder sister, Tonia, his two younger brothers and his grand mother while she was away to visit her elder sister who had put to bed.

She said: “So I was shocked when I came back Saturday morning, and they told me that Daniel has disappeared and when I asked my daughter she said she had a quarrel with him because the boy was watching movies late into the night.

“I had even gone to report the matter at Evbuotubu police station before my sister-in-law from Germany called me to say that the story of my son was in the internet.

“One of Daniel’s younger brothers said he saw him remove his school books from his bag. So I asked my neighbhours whether any of them saw him and they told me that around 5 to 6 am, they heard sounds that somebody was opening the gate but never thought it was my son. He doesn’t go out. What I know is that he is always watching movies in the house but he doesn’t have friends.

“When we were looking for him, his nine-year-old younger brother said that anytime they were watching film, he always say he will go abroad; he will go to airport to enter plane . He told me to go and check the airport. I did not believe him,” she said.

“I went to Oba Market police station, they referred me to Evbuotubu police station. When I got there, they said they would declare him missing after 24 hours and that I should come back the next day. I went to inform my pastor and other members, my friends and other relations.”

Mrs oikhena also dismissed insinuations the boy could have fled Benin because the she was maltreating him.
“I did not maltreat him. I don’t joke with my children’s welfare. He does not have friends; he hardly leaves home. I don’t know why he was going to Lagos.

“When I heard the news, I did not know what to do or say. I was so weak. Many people were telling me to calm down. My only joy now is that he is alive; that is my happiness,” she said.