Guinness Nigeria (a Diageo company) – Nigeria
Job Title: Area Sales Manager
Level: L5 (M2)
Reports To: Divisional Sales Manager
Responsible for achieving sales goals within a defined geographic area. Develops sales plans and budgets for achieving sales goals. This individual is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the field sales organization. Typically supervises activities and effectiveness of the sales force.
a) Financial – responsible for Area Field Sales Force Overhead budget and effective use of all Marketing spend used by sales force.
b) Market Complexity – Area geographically based; manages a team of Retail Development Managers (entry level sales representatives); part of a Divisional Team working with other Area Sales Managers to achieve divisional objectives.
c) Leadership and Functional Responsibilities – Must be able to influence, inspire and drive performance across Distributor and Guinness Nigeria staff, embodying the Diageo leadership capabilities. Managing Relationships; Distributor Management; Commercial Planning; Sales Drivers; Trade Strategy
- Drives achievement of profitable volume/market share target for the Area via delivery of sales drivers for the Area
- Ensures Retail Redistribution Scheme within the area is fully reviewed and managed
- Coaching of Retail Development Managers to ensure effective delivery. Build the Structured Selling capabilities ensuring that Sales Representatives execute the 8 steps of the call with every customer
- Ensures maximum utilization of INTOUCH (Sales performance management tool) to drive efficiency and effectiveness
- Reviews information on sales representative performance vs targets, use reports and data from the Intouch management suite to generate commercial insights and drive execution of these opportunities through the sales teams
- Ensures brilliant execution of promotional activity – ensuring the right outlets are selected and agencies adher to our standards
- Ensures that all sales objectives are strategically aligned; support sales leaders where relevant with the process of defining, managing and cascading targets throughout the sales force
Skills and Qualifications Required
- Graduate calibre with a minimum of 5 years experience gained across sales, trade & customer marketing. Previous experience of Field Sales or other direct customer facing roles is essential
- Experience working in field sales roles in mid to big sized multinationals in a Consumer goods industry is preferable
- Experience of coaching/leading others and getting results through teams
- Strong commercial acumen
- Computer literate
- Excellent Communication skills
Barriers to Success in Role
Essential to spend time in the Field with the team members and customers; need to stay in touch with the market
Role is based in a geographical area, with minimum of 80% Field work, some travel to Divisional Office essential. Role holder must be willing to work weekends and long nights.