The death of a female Muslim pilgrim identified as Halimatu Idris, has been confirmed by the Zamfara State Government.
This was disclosed by the Zamfara deputy governor, Ibrahim Wakkala while speaking with newsmen in Gusau, the state capital.
Mr Wakkala said the female pilgrim from Shinkafi Local Government Area of the state, died on Saturday in Madinah, Saudi Arabia, and had been buried there according to Islamic rites.
The deputy governor, who also doubles as the Chairman, Zamfara Task Force on Hajj, said that the family of the deceased had already been notified.
“The deceased, a middle-aged woman, left her home and the country in good health but doctors confirmed that she died as a result of shock and excitement when she saw a large crowd of pilgrims beyond what her capacity could take,” Mr Wakkala said.
He also disclosed that two other pilgrims – Muhammadu Mande and Rabiatu Aminu, had been hospitalised after the former was hit by a car in Makkah, while the latter, a female, had severe bleeding after a miscarriage in Madinah.
“But both patients are responding to treatment and will soon be discharged,” he explained.
He said that the task force had made adequate arrangement to ensure the comfort of the 4,088 pilgrims from the state, adding that 10 medical personnel accompanied them to the Holy land.
Mr Wakkala stated that all the 64 winners of the National Qur’anic recitation competition, held in March this year, were rewarded with Hajj seats.
Reacting to reports that some people missed the opportunity to perform the exercise last year, even after they had paid, he said that the matter was being tackled as the officials, who defrauded them, were being “handled by the state government”.
He said that the Governor, Abdulaziz Yari, had since released N132 million, to enable those affected to travel to Saudi Arabia this year and perform the pilgrimage.