Housewife Dies In Ogun After Poisoning Self With Husband’s Shaving Powder

shaving powder1

A 25 year-old housewife, Sakirat Abdullai, on Sunday took her own life in Ijebu-Ode, after allegedly taking a meal of pap, mixed with shaving powder belonging to her husband.

The mother of a five-year-old boy, was said to have taken a dinner containing the mixture at 33, Ereko St. Ijebu-Ode in Ogun State. No one could say what her motive was.

Her husband, Ahmed Abdullahi, a driver and member of the Epe Unit of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW, was said to be away when the woman took the action.

Abdullahi told newsmen that he was shocked when he returned home to see the wife’s lifeless body.

“I forced the door open because she didn’t respond when I started knocking,” he said.

The Chief Medical Director, Ijebu-Ode General Hospital, Dr. Wellington Ogunsanya, however told the News Agency of Nigeria that drinking shaving powder could not result in immediate death as claimed.

Ogunsanya said it will take a period of three or more days before death can set in, if the condition is not treated on time, adding that there might have been other underlying factors that led to the woman’s death.

Area Commander of the Igbeba Police Division in Ijebu-Ode, ACP. Abdullahu Mudasiru, confirming the incident, but said, however, that he was still waiting for full report on the incident.

The remains of Sakirat were later taken to Imobi in Ijebu-East Local Government Area of Ogun State for burial.