Kenya’s interior minister says that another arrest has been made in connection with the deadly Westgate mall attack, which left 67 people dead in a four-day siege.
Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said the arrest was made on Sunday, but he refused to give any further details.
Kenyan officials have arrested 12 people in connection with the attack, but three have been freed. Lenku declined to say if any of those arrested had been in the mall during the attack.
Investigators have also identified a car used by the gunmen, from the Somalia-based Islamist group al-Shabab, and found in it “an assortment of illegal weapons,” said Lenku.
The Red Cross says 59 people remain missing after the siege, though the government puts that number at zero.
Kenyans have become increasingly frustrated over the government’s unwillingness to share information about the attack. Almost no details have been released about what happened after the first hours of the siege.
“We ask you to bear with us,” he said, of the government’s unwillingness to share information.
While the mall was a chaotic scene for many hours after the attack began, with people moving in and out of the upscale shopping centre, Lenku insisted no terrorists could have escaped.
“Our forces sealed off every point of exit,” he said. “It was completely secured.”