A senior commander in the al-Qaeda-linked Haqqani network, wanted for kidnappings and sending hundreds of foreign fighters into Afghanistan, has been killed by a US drone strike, Pakistanis say.
Mullah Sangeen Zadran, whom the US blacklisted as a terrorist in August 2011, was among six Haqqani network fighters killed in the overnight strike in North Waziristan.
Two announcements made by mosque loudspeaker in Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan, said his funeral would take place at 3pm local time on Friday.
Two Pakistani intelligence officials, who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity, confirmed his death and said an Arab fighter was also among the dead.
Meanwhile the government called for an end to the US drone campaign in its tribal regions following the strike.
“The government strongly condemns the US drone strike,” the foreign ministry said.
The Haqqani network, one of the Afghan Taliban factions, is considered the deadliest of all militant groups operating in the region, and blamed for many lethal attacks in Afghanistan.
The group, which has links to al-Qaeda, has bases in Pakistan and launches cross-border strikes against international forces.
The latest attack was the second in Pakistan’s tribal regions since US Secretary of State John Kerry’s visit to Islamabad earlier this year, in which he said drone campaign could end “very soon”.
“These unilateral strikes are a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity,” the foreign ministry said on Friday.
“Such strikes also set dangerous precedents in the inter-state relations.”