As you know, some people are blessed with a fast metabolism and the ability to eat whatever they want without gaining an ounce. For others, dieting and weight loss aren’t as easy. There are a few diet tricks that can help you shed the pounds without crash dieting.
1. Eat mostly vegetables with lean protein: Half your plate should be brightly colored vegetables (spinach, kale, red peppers, broccoli), considering those with deep colors contain the most nutrition. One quarter should be good quality, low fat protein sources, such as eggs, tofu, fish, chicken and turkey, which will give you a feeling of fullness for a longer period of time and, thus, minimize cravings. One quarter should be complex carbohydrates, which could include whole grains or legumes.
2. Keep blood sugar healthy: Shedding pounds is difficult when blood sugar levels are elevated, which impairs carbohydrate metabolism and increases sugar cravings. Avoid simple sugars along with artificial sweeteners, which have been shown to cause increased sugar rebound cravings. Indeed, research has shown an increase in cravings 2-3 hours after consuming sugar substitutes such as Sweet n’ Low, Equal, or Splenda.
3. Eat thermogenic foods daily: Foods with natural fat burning compounds, such as cayenne, ginger, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, green tea, hot peppers, citrus and apple cider vinegar, can really help take – and keep – those pounds off when eaten on a regular daily basis.
4. Optimize your digestion: Break down your food properly and more efficiently so your cells may best utilize the nutrients. Chew well, take apple cider vinegar before each meal, eat in a relaxed setting and breathe while you eat.
5. Drink green tea: A mug of piping hot green tea is one of nature’s most perfect energy producing health-restoring beverage! Studies show that the catechins found in green tea assists in burning fat. Green tea is also full of antioxidants, which may help in the prevention of cancer and, when used topically, reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
6. Take your temperature regularly: Be sure to get an accurate thermometer and check your temperature just after getting up in the morning daily for about a week.