77-yr-old Man Burns To Death In His Lagos Home

house on fire

An inferno that gutted the 84, Osho Drive Street, Olodi-Apapa, Lagos two-storey building apartment of a 77-year-old man, Vincent Agbare, has reportedly killed him.

According to an eyewitness identified as Shola Akinjobi, the fire started from a burning candle from Agbare’s living room, before spreading to other parts of the building, adding that the old man was sleeping alone in the apartment, when the fire started Tuesday night, and that he was burnt beyond recognition.

Lagos State Fire Service Director, Razaq Fadipe, confirmed the incident, saying men from the state fire service were at the scene to put off the fire and prevent it from spreading to adjoining buildings.

“Investigations have shown that Mr. Agbare could not escape from the building, when the fire started, because the building has only one escape route and was covered by the fire.

“I want to advise Lagosian to always ensure they create alternative routes in their buildings that will serve as escape route during emergencies.

“I also want to advise members of the public to endeavour to have fire extinguishers in their apartments. Lastly people should stop using candles, because they may not be awake when it would have burnt out,” Fadipe said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *